mongo

Default replace mercruiser 888 with smaller engine

I want to replace the old Mercruiser 888-- 188 hp, alpha 1 sterndrive--
on my 23 ft cruiser with a smaller, new 3 liter 135 hp unit with
generation 2 alpha outdrive.

I don't need to zip around at planing speed.

Can the conversion be done without major trauma?

Will the existing transom hole be OK.

What about engine bearers, steering etc.

Your advice appreciated

first off, why do you want to convert? if it's for economy, I think
you'll be disapointed.
just my opinion.

I think you will find more "trauma" than you wish to put up with.

mongo

Why do you say I'll be disappointed if economy is involved?

James

It'll be a hassle and expensive. If you want to go slow then just do it
with the motor you have. It's not like you will save a bunch of gas just
because you swap out for a slightly smaller engine. Boats use a lot of gas
no matter what the engine. Unless you are having problems with the 888. In
that case you could replace it with a more modern engine. Just about
anything will connect to the outdrive. At worst you may need a new
bellhousing. I believe the new 4 banger uses a front engine mount, where
are the engine mounts on your 888? Not many accessories will move so you
will need to buy a lot of stuff. I'm assuming you don't care about resale
as your crusier is possibly underpowered already and putting a smaller motor
in it will reduce it's resale.

In any case there is no reason to replace your early alpha with the 2nd
version. The differences between the two alphas is trivial.

"mongo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to replace the old Mercruiser 888-- 188 hp, alpha 1 sterndrive--
on my 23 ft cruiser with a smaller, new 3 liter 135 hp unit with
generation 2 alpha outdrive.

I don't need to zip around at planing speed.

Can the conversion be done without major trauma?

Will the existing transom hole be OK.

What about engine bearers, steering etc.

Your advice appreciated

Gorf

"mongo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Why do you say I'll be disappointed if economy is involved?

23 ft boat with a smaller engine means the engine will have to work extra
hard to go the same speed - even if that is slower.
Not to mention the ability to get out harms way is better with a larger
engine in particular getting out of the way of an oncoming storm.
Same principle as with a pickup truck, often a v8 will get BETTER mileage
than a six cylinder at highway speeds.
Keep what you got and make sure you keep it in top tune, with the money you
save you can easily justify the best mechanic once a year.

bowgus

Well ... first off, will you not be paying about $10K for that new
engine/outdrive? That's a lotta gas money ... or ... how much do you
expect to save on fuel? For me, I run just on plane at about 2100 rpm
which according to the power curves is about 90 hp.

bowgus wrote:
Well ... first off, will you not be paying about $10K for that new
engine/outdrive? That's a lotta gas money ... or ... how much do you
expect to save on fuel? For me, I run just on plane at about 2100 rpm
which according to the power curves is about 90 hp.

That's really nice on paper, but you arn't figuring the torque factor.

I think what your result would be like putting a Toyota 4 cyl. in a
Chevy Suburban.

that 888 will do more at 1/2 throttle than the 3.0 will at
full.Especially on a boat that size. to get the max performance out of
the 3.0 you'll have to turn at about 4000 RPM, and if you try to over
prop the boat to get the rpm down, you'll do nothing but lag the engine
go slower and suck more fuel.

I have a 3.0 *(140 h.) in an 18 ft. fiberglass ChrisCraft, and my
brother has a 20 ft Century with a a 4.9 (292 cube 6 185 hp.) he and I
can run the same speed, I'm pulling 500 RPM minimum. more than he and
his boat uses less fuel

If it was my boat, (and I know it's not) I'd leave it alone.

What about engine bearers, steering etc.

No

hardly any is the same. except the bellhousing mount on the outdrive

mongo

Thank you everyone. But my 888, is 30 years old. It is in urgent need
of replacement. It is NOT for fuel-saving economy I am conemplating
re-powering to a smaller engine. It is because the old merc runs on 7
cylinders (rusted exhaust manifault killed the 8th with salt water),
has very bad blow-by. We seldom do more than 5 knots in the rivers
lakes where we cruise, and NEVER go at wide open throttle.
Thanks all

James

Get a replacement engine that bolts in. What is it you have, a 302? I
think you can still get those. I suspect the 351 is also a bolt in. And
don't get a 4 cylinder. That is too small an engine for your boat.

"mongo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you everyone. But my 888, is 30 years old. It is in urgent need
of replacement. It is NOT for fuel-saving economy I am conemplating
re-powering to a smaller engine. It is because the old merc runs on 7
cylinders (rusted exhaust manifault killed the 8th with salt water),
has very bad blow-by. We seldom do more than 5 knots in the rivers
lakes where we cruise, and NEVER go at wide open throttle.
Thanks all

Nanni Diesel Engine Problems [email protected] General 10 February 3rd 06 02:41 PM
Engine access [email protected] ASA 11 January 13th 06 12:48 AM
new or rebuilt engine? richard Cruising 8 December 7th 05 05:44 PM
WEAR-FREE COLD ENGINE STARTS -prelubrication oil system Mic Cruising 0 November 11th 05 04:58 AM
Winterizing Checklist Skipper General 27 November 10th 05 02:58 AM