Joe Here

Default Chrysler Outboard Question.

We have what I believe is a 1970, 45 HP Chrysler that, all things
considered, runs very well.

Here's an obsevation or two that I could use some help on.

From cold, in a test barrel at idle, the water exiting the motor is
very hot after about 10 seconds. I assume this is good, as it's
removing heat from the engine? The water passage appears
to go down the center of the heads, even with the thermostat colsed,
and I imagine that it's shared with the water jackets when it opens?

After some running around, there is steam escaping with the water...
is this normal, as there is no sign of overheating?

On these motors, does all the water exit the spout, or does some exit
out the lower unit?

Timing Question.......
While sync.ing the throttle and timing advance, I noticed that the
timing plate actually "retards" in the final stage of W.O.T. as the
lever goes past it's center. Is this normal? The manual makes no
reference to this.

Any help is much appreciated,

Joe.

noah

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 02:12:17 -0400, Joe Here wrote:

We have what I believe is a 1970, 45 HP Chrysler that, all things
considered, runs very well.

Here's an obsevation or two that I could use some help on.

From cold, in a test barrel at idle, the water exiting the motor is
very hot after about 10 seconds. I assume this is good, as it's
removing heat from the engine? The water passage appears
to go down the center of the heads, even with the thermostat colsed,
and I imagine that it's shared with the water jackets when it opens?

After some running around, there is steam escaping with the water...
is this normal, as there is no sign of overheating?

I'm not familiar with your particular engine, but "steam" in the
outflow is not healthy. An outboard shouldn't get hot enough to
produce steam.

On these motors, does all the water exit the spout, or does some exit
out the lower unit?

Timing Question.......
While sync.ing the throttle and timing advance, I noticed that the
timing plate actually "retards" in the final stage of W.O.T. as the
lever goes past it's center. Is this normal? The manual makes no
reference to this.

Again, I don't know your engine, but none of mine retard the spark at
WOT. I have 2 Evinrudes, 2 Johnsons, and 1 Merc. Do you have an
Owner's Manual, or a Service Manual? The Owner's Manuals don't
normally tell you what you need to know.

Any help is much appreciated,

Joe.

noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats
Joe Here

[Snip]
Again, I don't know your engine, but none of mine retard the spark at
WOT. I have 2 Evinrudes, 2 Johnsons, and 1 Merc. Do you have an
Owner's Manual, or a Service Manual? The Owner's Manuals don't
normally tell you what you need to know.

I have a Service manual, and all it states is that at WOT, adjust the
linkage so that two marks on the timing (advance?) plate align.
So, when I set it to the book, then at about 75% throttle, timing
actually advances slightly past the marks, then drops back
and lines up at WOT??

Everything looks normal and original, as far as the linkages etc. go.
My Service Manual is a Clymer, and it's pretty vauge.

Any help is much appreciated,

Joe.

noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats

noah

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 02:57:44 -0400, Joe Here wrote:

[Snip]
Again, I don't know your engine, but none of mine retard the spark at
WOT. I have 2 Evinrudes, 2 Johnsons, and 1 Merc. Do you have an
Owner's Manual, or a Service Manual? The Owner's Manuals don't
normally tell you what you need to know.

I have a Service manual, and all it states is that at WOT, adjust the
linkage so that two marks on the timing (advance?) plate align.
So, when I set it to the book, then at about 75% throttle, timing
actually advances slightly past the marks, then drops back
and lines up at WOT??

Everything looks normal and original, as far as the linkages etc. go.
My Service Manual is a Clymer, and it's pretty vauge.

I'll have to defer to someone more familiar with the Chryslers. It's
possible that the retarded WOT spark is by design, or possibly there
is some wear in the linkages.

I would be more concerned by the "seemingly" hot coolant water flow.
It takes longer than 10 seconds for my engines to warm up, and none of
them produce steam unless I've picked up something that blocks the
intakes. The smaller outboards 2, 4, 9.9, and 15hp never put out
water above "warm". The 35 Merc gets hotter, but never too hot to put
your hand in the outflow. Running the engine in an overheated
condition could do some damage.

Good luck,
noah

Outboard Motor Bracket question John Wright General 0 July 28th 03 04:46 AM
Prop Question... Part II Matt General 1 July 24th 03 01:58 AM
A suitable outboard for a Intex Seahawk 500 ? Lago Jardin General 1 July 15th 03 11:59 AM
malibu response question J.W. Frank General 26 July 11th 03 02:26 AM
Good outboard engine forums? Rob Pilgrim General 4 July 11th 03 12:30 AM