noah

Default Chrysler Outboard Question.

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 02:12:17 -0400, Joe Here wrote:

We have what I believe is a 1970, 45 HP Chrysler that, all things
considered, runs very well.

Here's an obsevation or two that I could use some help on.

From cold, in a test barrel at idle, the water exiting the motor is
very hot after about 10 seconds. I assume this is good, as it's
removing heat from the engine? The water passage appears
to go down the center of the heads, even with the thermostat colsed,
and I imagine that it's shared with the water jackets when it opens?

After some running around, there is steam escaping with the water...
is this normal, as there is no sign of overheating?

I'm not familiar with your particular engine, but "steam" in the
outflow is not healthy. An outboard shouldn't get hot enough to
produce steam.

On these motors, does all the water exit the spout, or does some exit
out the lower unit?

Timing Question.......
While sync.ing the throttle and timing advance, I noticed that the
timing plate actually "retards" in the final stage of W.O.T. as the
lever goes past it's center. Is this normal? The manual makes no
reference to this.

Again, I don't know your engine, but none of mine retard the spark at
WOT. I have 2 Evinrudes, 2 Johnsons, and 1 Merc. Do you have an
Owner's Manual, or a Service Manual? The Owner's Manuals don't
normally tell you what you need to know.

Any help is much appreciated,

Joe.

noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,