noah

Default Chrysler Outboard Question.

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 02:57:44 -0400, Joe Here wrote:

[Snip]
Again, I don't know your engine, but none of mine retard the spark at
WOT. I have 2 Evinrudes, 2 Johnsons, and 1 Merc. Do you have an
Owner's Manual, or a Service Manual? The Owner's Manuals don't
normally tell you what you need to know.

I have a Service manual, and all it states is that at WOT, adjust the
linkage so that two marks on the timing (advance?) plate align.
So, when I set it to the book, then at about 75% throttle, timing
actually advances slightly past the marks, then drops back
and lines up at WOT??

Everything looks normal and original, as far as the linkages etc. go.
My Service Manual is a Clymer, and it's pretty vauge.

I'll have to defer to someone more familiar with the Chryslers. It's
possible that the retarded WOT spark is by design, or possibly there
is some wear in the linkages.

I would be more concerned by the "seemingly" hot coolant water flow.
It takes longer than 10 seconds for my engines to warm up, and none of
them produce steam unless I've picked up something that blocks the
intakes. The smaller outboards 2, 4, 9.9, and 15hp never put out
water above "warm". The 35 Merc gets hotter, but never too hot to put
your hand in the outflow. Running the engine in an overheated
condition could do some damage.

Good luck,
noah