Default WTB Kayak plans

Hi all,

Anyone have any full size "used" Kayak plans they want to sell? I am
thinking about building a 16 footer. The Ocean One plans look very
good.

A canvas Kayak would be OK. Thanks, -k

Brian Nystrom

k wrote:
Hi all,

Anyone have any full size "used" Kayak plans they want to sell? I am
thinking about building a 16 footer. The Ocean One plans look very
good.

A canvas Kayak would be OK. Thanks, -k

It's illegal to sell "used" kayak plans. When you purchase plans, you
purchase the right to build one boat with them. Designers have a right
to expect to be paid for their expertise. They have to make a living, too.

If you're interested, I have a set of unused plans for a Merganser 17
that I'll sell for $70 (they're $85 direct from Shearwater). You can see
the details at:

http://www.shearwater-boats.com/
Drew Dalgleish

On 9 Nov 2005 17:23:57 -0800, "k" wrote:

Hi all,

Anyone have any full size "used" Kayak plans they want to sell? I am
thinking about building a 16 footer. The Ocean One plans look very
good.

A canvas Kayak would be OK. Thanks, -k

There's offset tables in the book kayakcraft that you can use to make
your own plans. Its not that hard to lay them out. I'm building a skin
on frame 14'er for my wife using dimensions from the book.
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

k wrote:
: Hi all,

: Anyone have any full size "used" Kayak plans they want to sell? I am
: thinking about building a 16 footer. The Ocean One plans look very
: good.

: A canvas Kayak would be OK. Thanks, -k

How serious of a boat do you want?

We did a project with scouts using Roy Underhill's book... you can check it
out at the library... the first kayak we built exactly to plan, and realized
that was way to heavy... so the rest of them we built quite a bit lighter
using waferboard on the sides since it's covered anyway...

First boat we burned as a campfire at Kankakee River State Park.

We had the kids save milk jugs with caps as floatation for the project.
http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/scout.html (twelve 1 gallon containers per boat)

Cost was about $25 per kayak... included $4 per boat for the skin... we
got the skin from a boat yard, it's that plastic stuff they use to winterize
boats. The price we paid for the skin may have been discounted since we
were a scout troop, but we paid retail for all the lumber...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page

Default Kayak plans

Please excuse my Faux pas. If that is the system I will accept it.

Let me ask this.

I think I want to build a canvas kayak. I have borowed two books from
the library.
The New Kayak Shop and Wood and Canvas kayaks. Both look to be
excellent books.

The only thing I am not comfortable with is the effort it is going to
take to enlarge the plans. It looks like a chore in itself. Does anyone
have suggestions to make this process a little easier? I am not exactly
new to woodworking or plan making, I am looking for something to
expedite the process. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
One concern I am having is I really don't want to get too much wrapped
up in plans I may never use. (i do not always finish what i start). I
like the look of the Kayaks on this page

http://www.guillemotkayaks.com/Build...vsPlywood.jpeg

Obviously these are from Guillemot Kayaks. If I cannot get it done I
may just buy an old town kayak from Cabelas. I looked at a few of
another brand in the $250-$350 range in a different sporting goods
store (not Cabelas) and they do not look like much. That is why I am
looking into plans.

Thanks, -k

Brian Nystrom wrote:
k wrote:
Hi all,

Anyone have any full size "used" Kayak plans they want to sell? I am
thinking about building a 16 footer. The Ocean One plans look very
good.

A canvas Kayak would be OK. Thanks, -k

It's illegal to sell "used" kayak plans. When you purchase plans, you
purchase the right to build one boat with them. Designers have a right
to expect to be paid for their expertise. They have to make a living, too.

If you're interested, I have a set of unused plans for a Merganser 17
that I'll sell for $70 (they're $85 direct from Shearwater). You can see
the details at:

http://www.shearwater-boats.com/

Tinkerntom

K, check out

http://foldingkayaks.org/

there are lots of links here about building your own SOF. Look for
Yostwerks in particular, TnT

Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote:
k wrote:
[...]

Brian Nystrom

k wrote:
[...]

I think you need to look into kayaks a bit more. There is no comparison
between a low-end molded kayak and the boats on Nick's site. If you're
interesting is building something similar, there are several good books
on building skin-on-frame boats, but it's not something you're going to
be able to build in a weekend. You can find resources for building SOF
kayaks at: http://www.qajaqusa.org

Morris', Cunningham's and Starr's books are all excellent and readily
available.
Mike Beede

In article 3FFcf.7336$941.840@trndny02,
Brian Nystrom wrote:

It's illegal to sell "used" kayak plans. When you purchase plans, you
purchase the right to build one boat with them. Designers have a right
to expect to be paid for their expertise. They have to make a living, too.

Do you have a citation for this law? I'd have imagined that
like any other copyrighted material that you could resell it to
your heart's content.

Mike Beede
Brian Nystrom

Brian Nystrom wrote:

It's illegal to sell "used" kayak plans. When you purchase plans, you
purchase the right to build one boat with them. Designers have a right
to expect to be paid for their expertise. They have to make a living, too.

Do you have a citation for this law? I'd have imagined that
like any other copyrighted material that you could resell it to
your heart's content.

Then you apparently have no idea what a "copyright" means. What do you
think all the lawsuits over distributing music over the internet and
pirating software are about? Do you think you can just copy a book or
video and sell it? Try that sometime and see how long it is before you
receive a "cease and desist" order and/or the authorities come knocking
on your door. A copyright gives the owner exclusive rights to sell their
intellectual property. How they sell it an what rights the purchaser has
is up to the copyright holder.

As it applies to kayak designs, the majority clearly state that
purchasing their plans gives you the right to build one boat using them.
Building more requires you to pay a licensing fee for each one. However,
some designers allow their customers to build multiple boats and there
are some plans that are distributed freely, In such cases it's clearly
stated as such.