Don WA5NGP

Default proper motor flusher use on Merc OB

What is the proper way to use a hose attached flusher on my 2000 Merc
90hp 2 cycle? I am paranoid about putting too much pressure into it.
Consequently, the last time I tried to use it the motor overheated,
not nice. Should water come out of the telltale right away or does
the motor need to heat up first. Is there Any other way to determine
the right pressure so nothing is blown up and it doesn't overheat
either.

tks
Don
WA5NGP

Greg

Are you using "earmuffs"?
The motor probably has to be running to see water at the telltale but it should
get there pretty fast once the impeller starts going. The telltale is in the
water system right after the impeller and before the thermostat.
The hose fitting in the back of my 2002 is the telltale.

Don WA5NGP

Yes I'm using earmuffs. You guys are saying that its not possible to
overpressure with earmuffs since you think that the earmuffs will let
the excess pressure by and not blow something in the motor. As guess
that makes sense as I bet lots of people don't even think about it and
just apply full water pressure and let it rip. I'm on a well system
and my pressure never goes beyond like 60 psi anyway. usually less at
the end of a hose.

Also, you are saying that the motor doesn't need to be at operating
temp to get telltale spray so I'll turn up the pressure until I get a
telltale spray and not be so paranoid about overpressure.

tks
Don

Greg

The system on a merc operates at about 17 PSI when you are 5000 rpm or more and
I am sure you won't get that much pressure through the spring loaded muffs.
They still warn you not to run it up more than a fast idle so these pressures
may add.

Boots Crofoot

I use an RV inline hose pressure reg. on my setup with the
muffs. have done this since 1986 and no problem. I do not
open the faucet that the hoes is connected to either, maybe
about 1/4 to 1/2 open
"Joseph Stachyra" wrote in message
According to my motor manual for a yr 2000 135hp opti max,
ear muff
pressure should not be over 45 pounds. That is stated by
mercury

"Don WA5NGP" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Shawn Willden

Bill Sheffield wrote:

Don't rev the engine while using the "Muffs"

Nothing higher than idle?

Also, is there any harm in putting the outdrive in gear while out of the
water with the muffs on? It's obviously important to make sure the prop is
clear, but assuming it is, could idling in gear do any damage?

Thanks,

Shawn.
Matt Lang

Shawn Willden wrote in message ...
Bill Sheffield wrote:

Don't rev the engine while using the "Muffs"

Nothing higher than idle?

Also, is there any harm in putting the outdrive in gear while out of the
water with the muffs on? It's obviously important to make sure the prop is
clear, but assuming it is, could idling in gear do any damage?

Yes. do NOT rev the engine on the hose. 2000 rpm for short period of
time should be the maximum.

I always put my motors in gear (25 & 125) ... I dont think it would
cause damage. Just make sure the prop is clear and keep yourself, kids
and animals far away.

matt