Slambram

Default Used boats: Merc. 5.7 EFI vs. Mag MPI Economy

Opinions wanted. I'm considering two used boats - a 2000 Rinker 232
Captiva Cuddy and a 2001 Crownline 230 CCR cuddy. Here's the dilema,

1. The Crownline is more desireable to me because it seems to be one
of the largest cuddy cruisers before moving into the aft-cabins.
However, power on the used ones seems to be a bit marginal at best.
One i'm interested in has the Merc 5.7 EFI 260HP / Bravo III. Dry
weight is approx. 4500 lbs.

2. The Rinker is smaller, but always seems to have decent engine
packages. The one i'm interested in has the Merc 5.7 Mag MPI / Bravo
III with thru-hull (switchable to thru-hub) exhaust. Dry weight is
approx. 4200. lbs.

Although dry weight says they're not much different, the Crownline
seems substantially bigger than the Rinker. My question is, what kind
of speed and, just as importantly, fuel economy differences will i see
between these two boats? In the boats i've seen it in, the 5.7 Mag
gets surprising economy as well as packs a good punch.

Thanks, -JZ

Wayne.B

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:27:22 -0500, Slambram
wrote:
[...]

If you cruise at 70% of wide open throttle RPM (WOT), fuel usage on
the 260 hp will run about 13 gph regardless of the boat. I have one
on a 5,000 lb Winner 24 I/O and that's what I use. If my memory is
correct, the 5.7 Mag is rated at 300 hp. If so, it will burn about 15
gph at 70% of WOT. 70% of WOT on either engine should be about 3400
RPM if the propeller is right for the boat.

Speed is more difficult to predict but my my boat cruises at 24 to 25
knots lightly loaded and with a clean bottom.
David Ditch

I don't have answers but more questions you should ask yourself:
Is power or fuel economy more important?
If fuel economy is important, how far per day are you traveling? Annually?
Which boat has the better layout for what you want?
What other little features does each boat have that are plusses and minuses?

I looked at both boats when buying a new 2003. Both seemed like nice boats.
Rinker chanded the layout in 2001, don't know about the Crownline.

I know people who wakeboard with 4200 lb boats and they both have the 260,
they say they don't use all the power.

David

"Slambram" wrote in message
[...]

R.G.Boyle

I have a 1987 FourWinns 225 Sundowner w/ the 5.7 Mag (early addition 350ci,
260 horse,alpha 1)
the boat weighs 4100 dry then add for 70 gal of fuel. I use 10 gal. an hour
at 3200 rpm. I boat srictly on the Mississipi River. I do however only use
89 octane fuel which I get at the local marina. Wide open throtle 43 miles
an hour with my wife on board and fully loaded for a weekend. The prop is a
std. mercruiser 19 pitch stainless. The boat cruseis at 27 mph., and wide
open throttle gets 4600 rpm. The trick as you probably know is to properly
pitch the boat to the for the type of boating that you are doing. The cutty
is very big with a small stand up head. Headroom is approx. 5.6'. I should
also mention the hull is painted with anti -fouling which I only started
using 4 years ago and did not loose any performance. So I guess what i"m
trying to say is on avg. I get 2.5 miles to the gal. I feel if you have to
worry about fuel economy maybe you should not get in to boating. :-)
[...]

Slambram

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 00:54:22 GMT, "R.G.Boyle"
wrote:

I have a 1987 FourWinns 225 Sundowner w/ the 5.7 Mag (early addition 350ci,
260 horse,alpha 1)

Thanks for all the info.

The newer Mags are mulltiport fuel injectected (MPI) - no comparison
really economy-wise to your cabureted 350.

trying to say is on avg. I get 2.5 miles to the gal. I feel if you have to
worry about fuel economy maybe you should not get in to boating. :-)

I'm coming out of a '70's Checkmate jeboat with a 440 - don't preach
to me about fuel economy...

Thanks, -JZ