David Ditch

Default Used boats: Merc. 5.7 EFI vs. Mag MPI Economy

I don't have answers but more questions you should ask yourself:
Is power or fuel economy more important?
If fuel economy is important, how far per day are you traveling? Annually?
Which boat has the better layout for what you want?
What other little features does each boat have that are plusses and minuses?

I looked at both boats when buying a new 2003. Both seemed like nice boats.
Rinker chanded the layout in 2001, don't know about the Crownline.

I know people who wakeboard with 4200 lb boats and they both have the 260,
they say they don't use all the power.

David

"Slambram" wrote in message
Opinions wanted. I'm considering two used boats - a 2000 Rinker 232
Captiva Cuddy and a 2001 Crownline 230 CCR cuddy. Here's the dilema,

1. The Crownline is more desireable to me because it seems to be one
of the largest cuddy cruisers before moving into the aft-cabins.
However, power on the used ones seems to be a bit marginal at best.
One i'm interested in has the Merc 5.7 EFI 260HP / Bravo III. Dry
weight is approx. 4500 lbs.

2. The Rinker is smaller, but always seems to have decent engine
packages. The one i'm interested in has the Merc 5.7 Mag MPI / Bravo
III with thru-hull (switchable to thru-hub) exhaust. Dry weight is
approx. 4200. lbs.

Although dry weight says they're not much different, the Crownline
seems substantially bigger than the Rinker. My question is, what kind
of speed and, just as importantly, fuel economy differences will i see
between these two boats? In the boats i've seen it in, the 5.7 Mag
gets surprising economy as well as packs a good punch.

Thanks, -JZ