Jon

Default Which engine for new pontoon, 60 hp merc BigFoot or 90 hp merc

Hello,

We have just purchased a new pontoon, and I'm wondering what is the
best engine to purchase between the 60 hp Merc Bigfoot model, or the
standard Merc 90 hp. The pontoon is 20ft with 25" tubes. The price
difference is only about $400, so not that big a deal. What would be
the advantage of either. We would like to use the boat for family
gatherings a few times a year, but also for tubing etc. I understand
that the Bigfoot model is designed for pontoons, so would it be better
to go with that? Also, it is about 100 lbs lighter, has EFI etc.

Thanks for any info.
Jon
Greg

I have a 20' harris with the 60 Big Foot. It runs about 20-22 on the GPS.
The 90 might go a bit faster but it is quite a bit heavier.
I got my engine fron an internet supplier (ITG Marine) and it worked out OK. I
did save about $900 with prop and shipping. Some of that was the tax I didn't
pay.
Just take it to your local dealer for the "hourlies" and they will kiss and
make up pretty fast after they get a few hundred in the register. Sales and
service are usually separate profit centers for the dealer.

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Jon, Have a look at the Suzuki 4 strokes. their 90 weighs about what a
merc 60 bigfoot does and uses less fuel. Runs quieter and doesn't
vibrate at all!

Capt. Frank

Jon wrote:

Hello,

We have just purchased a new pontoon, and I'm wondering what is the
best engine to purchase between the 60 hp Merc Bigfoot model, or the
standard Merc 90 hp. The pontoon is 20ft with 25" tubes. The price
difference is only about $400, so not that big a deal. What would be
the advantage of either. We would like to use the boat for family
gatherings a few times a year, but also for tubing etc. I understand
that the Bigfoot model is designed for pontoons, so would it be better
to go with that? Also, it is about 100 lbs lighter, has EFI etc.

Thanks for any info.
Jon

Greg

Jon, Have a look at the Suzuki 4 strokes. their 90 weighs about what a
merc 60 bigfoot does and uses less fuel. Runs quieter and doesn't
vibrate at all!

I did just look at suzukimarine.com and they say the 90 is 416 lbs. (dry or
rigged?)
That sounds pretty heavy. The merc 60 is 264 dry
Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hi Greg,

I am partners in a boat rental company. We have several pontoon boats.
All but 2 have the Suzuki motors on them. Because of the weight carrying
capacity of the pontoons, weight is not a real factor. They seem to sip
fuel with an eyedropper, as 16 gallons will run a pontoon all day and
have some left over. The Suzuki engines have proven themselves to be
able to handle the rigors of rental and keep on running. Our major
expense is propellors, because many renters can't tell an eddy current
from an oyster shell bank. Otherwise, we have found the motors to be
excellent. We plan to purchase 3 more of the engines this February as we
expand the "fleet".

As compared to the Suzuki, the Merc 2 stroke engines are noisy and
vibrate at low speed. They also have a higher cost of ownership as they
require more repairs. The Suzuki 4 strokes? Well, you can't hear them at
idle except for the water discharge from the pee hole. No vibration at
all. And best of all, start right away, every time.

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Greg wrote:

Jon, Have a look at the Suzuki 4 strokes. their 90 weighs about what a
merc 60 bigfoot does and uses less fuel. Runs quieter and doesn't
vibrate at all!

I did just look at suzukimarine.com and they say the 90 is 416 lbs. (dry or
rigged?)
That sounds pretty heavy. The merc 60 is 264 dry

Greg

I thought all the "Big Foot" mercs were 4 stroke. Mine is.
I also think weight does make a difference. The stern will sit very low if you
hang too much weight back there and that makes the "oyster" problem worse.
Don't you run stainless props?
Rich Stern

Hello,

We have just purchased a new pontoon, and I'm wondering what is the
best engine to purchase between the 60 hp Merc Bigfoot model, or the
standard Merc 90 hp. The pontoon is 20ft with 25" tubes. The price
difference is only about $400, so not that big a deal. What would be
the advantage of either. We would like to use the boat for family
gatherings a few times a year, but also for tubing etc. I understand
that the Bigfoot model is designed for pontoons, so would it be better
to go with that? Also, it is about 100 lbs lighter, has EFI etc.

Thanks for any info.
Jon

Jon, I have the 4 stroke EFI BF 60 on a 22' pontoon. Top speed is about 19mph,
and acceleration is adequate for tubing and beginner water sports.

The bigfoot gearcase is the same size as the 90 gearcase, which allows the 60
to turn a bigger prop.

The 90 would probably yield another 4 to 5mph, but will be less refined.

Either is a good motor. The 4 stroke will probably hold it's value a little
better.

-- Rich Stern
www.nitroowners.com - The Nitro and Tracker Owners Web Site
www.mypontoon.com - The Pontoon Boat Web Site
www.fishingreportdatabase.com - The Fishing Report Database
www.mysporttrac.com - The Sport Trac Web Site

Capt. Frank Hopkins

No Greg, we don't use stainless props on the rental units. The problem with
stainless is they are too good.

When an inexperienced operator does hits something, stainless props don't
break. Instead the lower unit breaks. It is much less expensive to replace a
prop. Suzuki uses a rubber hub that slips before most prop damage occurs.
Merc uses a metal slip clutch, which can fail. This has occurred too many
time with our rental engines, resulting in a lot of damage.

We also "throttle" the 90hp engines at about 85%. This reduces the top speed
of the rental boat to 15 mph. If the driver hits something at 15, there is
much less damage and likelyhood of injury then if speed was 25-30. It also
saves a lot of fuel, (Which we supply.) and wear and tear.

The suzuki's we use (90hp) have a reduction gear between the power head and
prop shaft, reducing the speed of the main shaft. Since lower unit the
moving parts are slowed, we have put out a lot less money in repairs! The
Suzuki DF90 and DF115, and DF's 60 & 70 are the exact same engine(s), except
for a difference in the injectors.

2 of our 21' pontoons use the Suzuki 60 engines (unthrottled) and have
plenty of performance.
http://www.mercurymarine.com/mercury...oot_fourstroke

If you look at the above link to merc's bigfoot page you will find the Merc
60hp bigfoot. Which is the largest motor in the "bigfoot" family. Dry
Weight (lbs.) (Lightest Version model, excludes engine oil, rigging,
hardware and propeller): 264

It is not comparable to a 90hp Suzuki. The Suzuki 60 weighs 335 pounds. A
little more then its "lightest version" Merc counter part.
http://suzukimarine.com/4strokes/fea...=DF60&mn2=DF70

The above link is to allow you to compare specs. Be sure to compare
horsepower vs horsepower.

You will find the Suzuki costs less too. Especially when you add in
Mercury's "options" like a prop and PT&T. Suzuki's engine is supplied with a
prop, which is an "optional added cost item" (+$175.00) on Mercs, and
includes power tilt and trim as a standard item.
Merc's PT&T is optional at cost.(+$600.00) This is where the bulk of your
weight difference is. I would not power a pontoon without power tilt and
trim. Trying to raise the engine from the motor deck is a backbreaker. The
above cost figures are based on local dealership's quotes in Jacksonville,
Florida

Suzuki's alternator puts out more juice to recharge the batteries and let
the renters play the radio and burn lights all night and run their fancy
gadgets. We retrofit a dual battery system with auto charging. 1 house
battery for playing radio and accessories and 1 "starting only" battery
which remains charged even if the house battery is depleated.

And no, I don't work for Suzuki, I just buy them.

I hope that helps with your research.

Capt. Frank

"Greg" wrote in message
I thought all the "Big Foot" mercs were 4 stroke. Mine is.
I also think weight does make a difference. The stern will sit very low if

you
hang too much weight back there and that makes the "oyster" problem worse.
Don't you run stainless props?

Greg

I guess my bad taste for Suzuki is my neighbor's experience with a rebadged
Susi Evinrude. He is still in bankruptsy court over that one.
I suppose the bigger ones are better, this was a 40. My other neighbor loves
his 70 although the paint fell off.
I am also pretty happy with the merc. I am around 600 hours on it and no
problems. I am a bit more careful than the average renter tho ;-)
The Power tilt was standard on the 60 BTW as far as I know. I paid 6625 for it
dropped in my driveway. (spring 2002)
Greg

I also highly recomend the 4 stroke on a pontoon!
With the Big Foot and the steering in the first hole you can do docking tricks
with the twins