Gould 0738

Default Visiting my new engine!

Hey, I got an up close look at my new engine today. Sure, it's on a pallet
about 80 miles away from the boat, but that's progress.

Things I noticed:

The 135NA seems to be at least slightly larger than the 165T it's replacing.
Maybe not- I'm just not used to seeing the engine outside of an engine room.

Some things have been improved since the early 80's. The new engine has two
secondary fuel filters, and two oil filters. The old engine (which ran 4000
hours until a failed aftercooler took it out) only had one of each. The
injector pump is mounted horizontally, and has a smaller body than the old
engine. Our local Perkins expert says the pump is far more precise than the
older model, and as a result the engine runs much cleaner. The claim, "The
exhaust is so clear you think you're burning propane" may be somewhat
exaggerated, however.

There is only one belt; for the alternator. The coolant circulation pump is
mechanically driven. The exhaust manifold is not raw water cooled, and so
should last a heck of a long time.

There's a handy manual pump for draining the sump during an oil change. The
dipstick is on the wrong side of the engine and would be a nuisance to access,
so
my engine guy is going to move it for me.

The exhaust is 3" instead of 4" like I've had. Less air flow through the NA, of
course. I'm going to install a water lift muffler, so it will be configured 3"
in, and 4" out to connect ot he existing hose run from the engine room to the
transom.
What a fantastic sight. A whole, brand new engine without a spec of dirt and
zero wear. It could easily last me the rest of my life, and I hope to live to
be a reasonably old fogey. :-)

(not to be confused with a reasonable old fogey......too late!)

Harry Krause

Gould 0738 wrote:
[...]

Congrats! Imron white?

--
Email sent to is never read.

Paul Schilter

Gould,
Congratulations, the new heart should give the old boat a new shine. How
do they move the dip stick, plug the old hole and drill in a new one?
Paul

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

Gould 0738

Congrats! Imron white?

Perkins blue. Very bright and pretty. :-)
Gould 0738

Gould,
Congratulations, the new heart should give the old boat a new shine. How
do they move the dip stick, plug the old hole and drill in a new one?
Paul

There's a spot on both sides of the pan casting where the dipstick could be
attached. This is important on a marine engine, since with twins you want to
try to set both dipsticks to the centerline.

I guess they will drill or puch out the spot on the port side, attach the
dipstick tube, and weld the other side shut.

Harry Krause

Gould 0738 wrote:

Congrats! Imron white?

Perkins blue. Very bright and pretty. :-)

Well, get yourself some soft diapers so you can rub it down regularly
and keep it shiny.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Congrats on the new mill Chuck. Just a suggestion, but while the engine
room is empty, take advantage of the space to install that light or pump
or whatever gizmo needs replacing, and do a little painting.

Send pix!

Capt. Frank

Gould 0738 wrote:

[...]

Wayne.B

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 19:52:55 -0500, DSK wrote:

Sounds great, Chuck... I bet you can't wait to hear it start up!

I'll bet he can't wait to get underway again.

FWC manifolds are definitely the way to go. It is one of the primary
reasons that Crusader gas engines out live Mercruisers by a
substantial margin.