Gould 0738

Default Outboard powered monorail?

Assuming the local nay-sayers don't overturn the project with an initiative
campaign, Seattle will be building a new monorail system over the next few
years.

I was reading the Seattle Weekly this AM, over coffee and blueberry muffin at
Starbucks, and learned that one of the firms under final consideration to build
the monorail is.........Bombardier

Another reminder that the boat business is seldom viable as a sole enterprise.
More and more, our boats, motors, equipment, and accessories are provided as
little specialty items or departments of megalithic international corporations.
Doug Kanter

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Assuming the local nay-sayers don't overturn the project with an

initiative
campaign, Seattle will be building a new monorail system over the next few
years.

I was reading the Seattle Weekly this AM, over coffee and blueberry muffin

at
Starbucks, and learned that one of the firms under final consideration to

build
the monorail is.........Bombardier

Another reminder that the boat business is seldom viable as a sole

enterprise.
More and more, our boats, motors, equipment, and accessories are provided

as
little specialty items or departments of megalithic international

corporations.

It's a brilliant idea. Gould, I'd be very interested in following this
issue. Other than your local news rags, is there a group which is
specifically devoted to the project, and to wrangling with the naysayers?

Gould 0738

It's a brilliant idea. Gould, I'd be very interested in following this
issue. Other than your local news rags, is there a group which is
specifically devoted to the project, and to wrangling with the naysayers?

The group behind the monorail project is
Elevated Transportation, or something similar. They might well have a website,
you'd have to Google for it.

The bond issue passed in Seattle by something like 200 votes. Percentage wise,
it was 50.1 to 49.9 or thereabouts.
As in any razor-thin election decision, the
losing side is bitter and now trying to start an initiative forcing the city
council to scrap the entire project.

The purpose of my post was not to get into
a discussion about the merits of a local transportation issue, but to point out
a very familiar name considered a finalist under consideration to actually
build the line.

I guess if Brunswick can build bowling alleys and pool tables, Bombardier can
build transportation systems.

Doug Kanter

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

I understand. I'm just curious about how the debate goes, especially if it's
successful. A local group proposed a monorail here a few years back. It
would've been perfect for a couple of overly congested neon-hell roads. But,
it was shot down by one guy in particular because, as he put it, it would've
required relocating a bunch of telephone poles. Translation: "I run the bus
services in this county and I can't possibly see how a monorail would help,
even though it would be quiet, non-stinky, and not block traffic every time
it stops".

Harry Krause

Gould 0738 wrote:
[...]

Bombardier is no newcomer to commuter rail transport. The project, of
course, will not come in at budget.

Joe

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Bombardier is no newcomer to commuter rail transport. The project, of
course, will not come in at budget.

Why, are they union?

basskisser

"Joe" wrote in message ...
"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Bombardier is no newcomer to commuter rail transport. The project, of
course, will not come in at budget.

Why, are they union?

No, it's because they are quite prevelant in heavy industry, such as
light rail systems manufacturing, aeronautics, etc. But, as your
question clearly shows, you are ignorant of the facts.
Calif Bill

Bombardier sold the Evinrude and other recreation business to raise capital.
There major business is trains and airplanes, and they had a huge train
project in Europe, that required more up front money.
Bill