Tony V

Default Some General Outboard Info Needed

My wife and I are getting back to boating after owning an inboard
for many years and we are looking at outboard powered boats in
the range of 20 -26 feet.

I have very little experience with outboards and was wondering if
some of you folks could enlighten me as to the following:

- What is the useful life of an outboard motor, of say 150 HP or so. Is
it measured in engine hours or years? Do outboards generally wear
out or corrode out? Does running in salt water (presumably flushed
after use) materially decrease the life of a motor?

- Can an older outboard that has been sitting on a boat in a yard for
several years be brought back to life?

- Can a reasonably competent amateur home mechanic do major
repairs on an outboard?

Thanks in advance for the benefit of your experience. There are a
number of yard queens that can be had cheaply in our area and my
wife and I enjoy working on boats.

Regards

Tony Van

Tony Thomas

Outboards will generally last as long as the boat if taken care of. This
means general maintenance, good oil, good gas, good flushing after each use.
The problem most people have with an outboard is - water in the gas or
letting the engine sit for long periods of time with no fuel stabalizer to
prevent carbs/fuel injectors from gumming up. Make sure the boat has a
water seperator filter installed. Recommend an EFI engine but not the
Direct Injection engine (DFI, Optimax, HDPI, etc...)
Also a 4 stroke if available in your engine size and not overly priced would
be a good choice.
Salt water will affect it the same as an inboard. If you don't flush
properly the salt will eventually stop up the water passages and destroy the
engine.

The older engine can be brought back to life. Rebuild carbs, replace water
pump, new hoses, fresh gas and oil, new plugs, new plug wires, possibly a
new fuel pump, replace any wiring that is corroded or broken insullation.

You would have to define major repair. Rebuild carbs - yes. Replace water
pump - yes. Rebuild the lower unit - no (shims and special tools required).
Rebuild the power head - maybe. Replace any electrical or fuel related
part - yes.

The problem with yard queens and salt water - probably were not taken care
of, flushed properly, etc. You may not even be able to get the lower unit
off to replace the water pump.

My suggestion, make a bid based on compression check and gear oil check (for
water and metal) and stipulate that you will pay for new waterpump prior to
purchase. If the lower unit won't come off then you don't have to buy.
Also recommend pulling the heads and looking at the water passages. New
head gaskets will cost you less than $50.00 and you will know the condition
of the engine cylinders (scaring) and everything. If junk inside, reinstall
heads and walk away.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Tony V" wrote in message

[...]

Lloyd Sumpter

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:33:31 +0000, Tony Thomas wrote:

Salt water will affect it the same as an inboard. If you don't flush
properly the salt will eventually stop up the water passages and destroy the
engine.

Well, partly. Most inboards I know of have fresh-water cooling (FWC) which
means anti-freeze, not salt water, is circulated through the engine. Salt
water IS circulated through the heat-exchanger and out the exhaust,
though.

I've never seen a FWC outboard...

Lloyd