JGK

Default Outboard Performance Accessories

After watching Monster Garage on Discover (the one where they turn a
pontoon boat into a shark dive boat) I got curious about an item they added
to the outboard. It was a nitrous system.
I have done a couple of web searches for outboard performance accessories
but have only found
a wide selection of props. Is there any sites that deal with outboard
performance upgrades?
Do them even make any aftermarket outboard performance gear?

trainfan1

JGK wrote:

After watching Monster Garage on Discover (the one where they turn a
pontoon boat into a shark dive boat) I got curious about an item they added
to the outboard. It was a nitrous system.
I have done a couple of web searches for outboard performance accessories
but have only found
a wide selection of props. Is there any sites that deal with outboard
performance upgrades?
Do them even make any aftermarket outboard performance gear?

TRY: Land & Sea:

http://www.land-and-sea.com/marine/marine.htm

Rob
Tony Thomas

There are lots of performance upgrades available such as fiberglass reeds
and larger reed blocks, larger carbs, high performance heads, high
performance exhaust tuners, high performance efi computers, etc....
Pick up a copy of hotboat magazine or check their website at www.hotboat.com
Also check out www.screamandfly.com
Land and Sea is just one company that sells performance equipment.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"JGK" wrote in message
. ..
After watching Monster Garage on Discover (the one where they turn a
pontoon boat into a shark dive boat) I got curious about an item they

added
to the outboard. It was a nitrous system.
I have done a couple of web searches for outboard performance accessories
but have only found
a wide selection of props. Is there any sites that deal with outboard
performance upgrades?
Do them even make any aftermarket outboard performance gear?

Lawrence James

There is stuff for outboards. There is some things you should think about
too. Outboards are not engineered with a great deal of extra strength in
the interest of limiting the weight. With any engine increasing the output
is usally a trade off in longevity. Inboards are more forgiving in this
respect that outboards just because there is more metal involved. The other
thing is that it takea whole lot more hp to go faster. For example if your
boat will do 50mph with a 150hp outboard on it, going 65 could take as much
as another 50hp. It's not cheap to get an extra 50hp out of an 150hp motor.
You'd be better off selling your 150 and buying a 200. I have a 300hp small
block and my boat does high 60's. When it had a 205hp small block it did
low 50's.

"JGK" wrote in message
. ..
After watching Monster Garage on Discover (the one where they turn a
pontoon boat into a shark dive boat) I got curious about an item they

added
to the outboard. It was a nitrous system.
I have done a couple of web searches for outboard performance accessories
but have only found
a wide selection of props. Is there any sites that deal with outboard
performance upgrades?
Do them even make any aftermarket outboard performance gear?

Rod McInnis

"Lawrence James" wrote in message
ink.net...
There is stuff for outboards. There is some things you should think about
too. Outboards are not engineered with a great deal of extra strength in
the interest of limiting the weight. With any engine increasing the

output
is usally a trade off in longevity.

A lot of the outboard motors, especially in the smaller horsepower ranges,
will have two motors with different horsepower ratings but all other
specifications for the motor are the same. For example, a Mercury Bigfoot
outboard: both have 60.6 cu inch displacement and they both weigh 264
pounds. I have to believe the difference between the two is something that
you could change without impacting the longevity of the outboard.

I have a Nissan 9.9 Hp motor, that is identical to the 15 Hp model. After a
little research I found that the difference between the motors is a little
cam plate that is part of the throttle mechanism. The two motors are
identical except the 9.9 simply doesn't open the throttle all the way.

Rod

del cecchi

[...]

"JGK" wrote in message
. ..
After watching Monster Garage on Discover (the one where they turn

pontoon boat into a shark dive boat) I got curious about an item

they
added
to the outboard. It was a nitrous system.
I have done a couple of web searches for outboard performance

accessories
but have only found
a wide selection of props. Is there any sites that deal with

outboard
performance upgrades?
Do them even make any aftermarket outboard performance gear?

There is considerable outboard performance gear available. See Bass and
Walleye Boats and the ads in there, among other places. Note that
modifying an outboard, except for racing motors, built after 1998 is
unlawful. might pollute the air.

del cecchi

JGK

"del cecchi" wrote in message

There is considerable outboard performance gear available. See Bass and
Walleye Boats and the ads in there, among other places. Note that
modifying an outboard, except for racing motors, built after 1998 is
unlawful. might pollute the air.
del cecchi

The problem is the government did not chip in to help me buy my boat so they
have no right to tell me what I can and can't do with my property and as
they say in NASCAR it's not illegal if you don't get caught.

del cecchi

"JGK" wrote in message

"del cecchi" wrote in message

There is considerable outboard performance gear available. See Bass

and
Walleye Boats and the ads in there, among other places. Note that
modifying an outboard, except for racing motors, built after 1998 is
unlawful. might pollute the air.
del cecchi

The problem is the government did not chip in to help me buy my boat

so they
have no right to tell me what I can and can't do with my property and

as
they say in NASCAR it's not illegal if you don't get caught.

I don't think that "rights" have anything to do with it. They got the
guns and the numbers. But go ahead. Just remember don't do the crime
if you can't do the time.

So Brucatto SVS intake, some new reeds, port the block, shave the heads,
put a new control box on the EFI from rapair and that Merc will really
fly. I think if you are doing an OMC, or one of the new DFI of any
flavor you are in for more difficulty.

del cecchi