Mile Sullivan

Default Converting I/O to Outboard with Jack Plate

I know this topic has come up before but it turned more into an
argument than a solution. :-)

I have a 22 ft. commercial fishing boat with a Volvo Penta stern drive
setup. The engine is tired and needs to be rebuilt or replaced, a
chore I would rather avoid. I've decided to go with a Mercury 115HP 4
stroke outboard mounted on the transom.

I'm very familiar with beefing and bracing the transom to hold a 350+
pound outboard. I would like to avoid notching the transom if at all
possible to mount the outboard. So about the only option I have is to
go with some sort of bracket. There are no conventional motor
brackets that hold this kind of weight, but I was able to locate
several Jack Plates. I only need a simple manual one to mount the
motor on. No fancy hydraulics, or platforms or extreme setbacks or
anything like that is needed. This would be for mounting the outboard
only.

The question I have is: Are these jack plates designed to be used with
notched transoms only, or can I mount an outboard on my transom using
a jack plate and avoid any cutting away of the transom?

Can anyone recommend a jack plate with sufficient capacity and minimal
setback from the transom?

Thanks,
Mike
CCred68046

Do a search on jackplate + outboard and you will find a bunch of them..
Cabelas has a nice selection.
Trainfan1

You need a bracket... the major manufacturers are Gil and Armstrong:

http://www.gilmarine.com/products/gb.../brackets.html

http://www.armstrongnautical.com/Brackets.htm

Rob
*
*
*

"Mile Sullivan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Mile Sullivan

Thanks for the info. I do a lot of business with Cabelas and have
seen their jack plates. I've also read quite a few posts on jack
plates but haven't been able to find anything that goes into detail on
how they work.

My understanding is that there is one bracket that bolts on to the
transom. Then a mating bracket is bolted to the outboard motor. Then
the two assemblies are bolted together. Is this correct? Are the
outboard motor clamp screws removed so they don't get in the way?

If anyone has installed these, can you fill me in on how the whole
mess works?

Thanks,
Mike

obull (CCred68046) wrote in message ...
Do a search on jackplate + outboard and you will find a bunch of them..
Cabelas has a nice selection.

Harry Krause

Mile Sullivan wrote:

Thanks for the info. I do a lot of business with Cabelas and have
seen their jack plates. I've also read quite a few posts on jack
plates but haven't been able to find anything that goes into detail on
how they work.

My understanding is that there is one bracket that bolts on to the
transom. Then a mating bracket is bolted to the outboard motor. Then
the two assemblies are bolted together. Is this correct? Are the
outboard motor clamp screws removed so they don't get in the way?

If anyone has installed these, can you fill me in on how the whole
mess works?

Thanks,
Mike

obull (CCred68046) wrote in message ...
Do a search on jackplate + outboard and you will find a bunch of them..
Cabelas has a nice selection.

You're probably going to have to beef up that transom to expect a
jackplate to stay on while holding a high-horse outboard. The stresses
are one hell of a lot different on the transom.

--
* * *
email sent to

Jim and Becky

There is also Stainless Marine.
And any of these will easily hold a 115 hp four stoke. They would hold two
225 four strokes but check with mfg on that.
Why don't you sketch out what you need and have an aluminum welder fabricate
it out of 1" to 1.5" stock?