Jim Stallings

Default I/O OR OUTBOARD - WHAT'S BEST??

Hello All,

This will probably be a painfully obvious question for many of you,
but I wanted to get some advice and I'm a novice powerboater (plenty
of sailing experience though!!)

Anyway, I'm in the market for a small runabout boat - perhaps 17 to 19
foot. It's to be used in both fresh and salt water here in the NW USA.
I plan to pull skiers as well as just cruise and maybe fish.

My question is - what are the advantages of an I/O vs outboard, and
vice versa. I've been leaning toward an I/O, mostly from the
standpoint of noise, simplicity, and looks (no unsightly motor in the
way....). What are some other considerations I should be aware of or
take into account.

Thanks VERY much for any help you can provide.

Jim
JohnH

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 16:32:35 GMT, "-v-" wrote:

"Jim Stallings" wrote in message
. com...
Hello All,

This will probably be a painfully obvious question for many of you,
but I wanted to get some advice and I'm a novice powerboater (plenty
of sailing experience though!!)

Anyway, I'm in the market for a small runabout boat - perhaps 17 to 19
foot. It's to be used in both fresh and salt water here in the NW USA.
I plan to pull skiers as well as just cruise and maybe fish.

My question is - what are the advantages of an I/O vs outboard, and
vice versa. I've been leaning toward an I/O, mostly from the
standpoint of noise, simplicity, and looks (no unsightly motor in the
way....). What are some other considerations I should be aware of or
take into account.

Thanks VERY much for any help you can provide.

Jim

1) Outboards are much lighter than IO's for a given horsepower.
2) Outboards are simpler than IO's. No U-Joints and bellows seals.
3) Outboards don't require a big hole in the transom.
4) Maintenance is easier on an outboard since the whole engined is out in
the open where it can be reached for service. You will appreciate this the
first time you have to lay on your back and hug an engine block in the bilge
of your boat to reach something that needs fixing.
5) There is less maintenance on an outboard since they are simpler.
6) Outboards were designed from scratch as marine engines and are not
converted car/truck engines thus they are much more durable in a sal****er
environment.
7) Outboards greatly reduce, if not entirely eliminate, the threat of
fire/explosion from gas fumes in the bilge.
8) Outboards can be tilted clear of the water if the boat is kept in the
water. Stern drives can't. This reduces corrosion and marine growth. Keeping
the boat on a boat lift or trailer is better.

I have an I/O now, Mercruiser 5.7L with an Alpha 1 drive. I will go for an
outboard next time.

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
bowgus

Well ... if I had the bucks I'd have gone 4 stroke outboard ... the I/O
takes up a lotta floor space, the whole system (motor, outdrive, bellows
etc) is complex, it's way heavy, and it's "firmly attached" to the boat as
in you're not likely gonna upgrade one or the other independently as you can
with an outboard.

So if you're going fishing, skiing with a 17' boat and plan to take along a
coupla friends, go outboard so there's some elbow room ... imho.

"-v-" wrote in message
news

[...]

DJ

"Jim Stallings" wrote in message
om...
Hello All,

This will probably be a painfully obvious question for many of you,
but I wanted to get some advice and I'm a novice powerboater (plenty
of sailing experience though!!)

Actually, it's not obvious and is really an individual decision based on
your particular plans. My comments below are based on my recent personal
experience going from a Chevy block inboard jet configuration (similar in a
lot of ways to an I/O) to a large V-6 outboard.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a small runabout boat - perhaps 17 to 19

foot. It's to be used in both fresh and salt water here in the NW USA.
I plan to pull skiers as well as just cruise and maybe fish.

My question is - what are the advantages of an I/O vs outboard, and
vice versa. I've been leaning toward an I/O, mostly from the
standpoint of noise, simplicity, and looks (no unsightly motor in the
way....). What are some other considerations I should be aware of or
take into account.

Thanks VERY much for any help you can provide.

Jim

"-v-" wrote in response

1) Outboards are much lighter than IO's for a given horsepower.

I Agree

2) Outboards are simpler than IO's. No U-Joints and bellows seals.

Don't know/no experience with outdrives.

3) Outboards don't require a big hole in the transom.

True, but I've never heard of transom leaks being a significant problem in
my little world. My inboard jet, with a big hole in the transom, never had
a problem, nor did the people I knew with that set up.

Counterbalanced, I would say, by the way an inboard block sits on the
internal bottom structure of the boat rather than hanging on the transom.

4) Maintenance is easier on an outboard since the whole engined is out in
the open where it can be reached for service. You will appreciate this the
first time you have to lay on your back and hug an engine block in the

bilge
of your boat to reach something that needs fixing.

5) There is less maintenance on an outboard since they are simpler.

These are probably true. Basic outboard maintenance is really simple.
Changing the oil, plugs and filters on an inboard engine can be a PITA, but
not that big of a deal. I don't really know about outdrive maintenance, but
outboard lower unit maintenance is really simple as well. But, I only do
the very basic maintenance on my engines and haven't seen either to be a
huge problem. Some people really like the inboard engines better for
whatever reasons.

6) Outboards were designed from scratch as marine engines and are not
converted car/truck engines thus they are much more durable in a sal****er
environment.

Don't know how significant this is (do sal****er only sporadically). Don't
think it's a huge factor in fresh water though.

7) Outboards greatly reduce, if not entirely eliminate, the threat of
fire/explosion from gas fumes in the bilge.

Agree.

8) Outboards can be tilted clear of the water if the boat is kept in the
water. Stern drives can't. This reduces corrosion and marine growth.

Keeping
the boat on a boat lift or trailer is better.

Agree - but as you said, a trailered I/O probably works OK in salt water as
well.

Don't forget that the outboard takes up [virtually] no interior space - this
can be very important in a 17-19 foot boat.

I would say outboards cost quite a bit more / horsepower than I/Os?

Gas mileage and water and air pollution were/are a major downfall of
outboards vs. I/O. I don't really know how modern 4 strokes and/or DFI or
EFI 2 strokes compare to an I/O, but I imagine they've narrowed the gap a
lot - maybe totally?

I went to my current outboard set up (over previous inboard jet, similar to
an I/O) because of the weight and interior space factors - they were *the*
important factors for me for the type of boating I do. I do NOT like the
fuel economy factor. I'd switch to a modern fuel inj. two stroke or four
stroke, but I do NOT like the cost / horsepower factor in doing that! I can
buy a lot of gas for the cost it would take to replace the outboard. (But
will do it when I need to).

I liked my old inboard jet because the engine gave me much more HP for the
money, was much cheaper to rebuild and/or replace (the engine, that is) and
was very similar (and therefore understandable to me) to the Chevy engine in
my pickup. Fuel mileage was far, far better than old carbureted 2 stroke
outboard. But the weight and interior space required in a 20 foot boat were
just too much.

So, to the original poster, in my opinion, there's no "correct" answer - it
depends on how these factors weigh in for you. I strongly recommend you try
to simulate or at least imagine how the interior space of I/O vs. outboard
will work for you in the activities you will be doing. Definitely spend
some time inside of boats you're looking at.

DJ

Harry Krause

DJ wrote:

5) There is less maintenance on an outboard since they are simpler.

These are probably true. Basic outboard maintenance is really simple.
Changing the oil, plugs and filters on an inboard engine can be a PITA, but
not that big of a deal. I don't really know about outdrive maintenance, but
outboard lower unit maintenance is really simple as well. But, I only do
the very basic maintenance on my engines and haven't seen either to be a
huge problem. Some people really like the inboard engines better for
whatever reasons.

Well, I'm a fan of outboards, as opposed to I/O's, but modern high
horsepower outboards for the most part are not simple engines a decent
backyard mechanic can maintain or repair. The simple maintenance items
on an outboard engine or a car engine are probably a wash.

6) Outboards were designed from scratch as marine engines and are not
converted car/truck engines thus they are much more durable in a sal****er
environment.

Some outboard engines are designed from scratch as marine engines.
Others are based on car engines. The larger Hondas have car engine origins.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Jim Stallings

Everyone --

Wow! Lots of benefits to outboards I hadn't known or thought about.
Thanks so much for your input. I was ready to write an OB out, but
now I'm going to look closer and really compare.

One thing that no one mentioned that I wonder about -- noise level.
Is either motor inherently quieter in most operation? How about the 4
stroke OBs?

Thanks again for your help !!

Jim
noah

There are advantages, and disavantages, to either.

I, also, suggest trying each, and deciding on what you like best.

Try a google search on "rec.boats FAQ", without the quotes. There is
a comparison section in the FAQ.

Good luck,
noah
Keith

Outboard for Sal****er, either for freshwater.

--

Keith
__
"Bill Andersen" wrote in message
I chose an I/O when I bought my 19' boat for the same reason.
Outboards weigh less but I/Os are more fuel efficient. Because it's a

little
easier to access an outboard, it's rumored that maintenance service costs
less. I doubt it.

"Jim Stallings" wrote in message
om...
Hello All,

This will probably be a painfully obvious question for many of you,
but I wanted to get some advice and I'm a novice powerboater (plenty
of sailing experience though!!)

Anyway, I'm in the market for a small runabout boat - perhaps 17 to 19
foot. It's to be used in both fresh and salt water here in the NW USA.
I plan to pull skiers as well as just cruise and maybe fish.

My question is - what are the advantages of an I/O vs outboard, and
vice versa. I've been leaning toward an I/O, mostly from the
standpoint of noise, simplicity, and looks (no unsightly motor in the
way....). What are some other considerations I should be aware of or
take into account.

Thanks VERY much for any help you can provide.

Jim

-v-

"Dan J.S." wrote in message

"Jim Stallings" wrote in message
om...
Hello All,

This will probably be a painfully obvious question for many of you,
but I wanted to get some advice and I'm a novice powerboater (plenty
of sailing experience though!!)

Anyway, I'm in the market for a small runabout boat - perhaps 17 to 19
foot. It's to be used in both fresh and salt water here in the NW USA.
I plan to pull skiers as well as just cruise and maybe fish.

My question is - what are the advantages of an I/O vs outboard, and
vice versa. I've been leaning toward an I/O, mostly from the
standpoint of noise, simplicity, and looks (no unsightly motor in the
way....). What are some other considerations I should be aware of or
take into account.

Thanks VERY much for any help you can provide.

Jim

you can't buy a Japanese i/o - and the quality of ALL i/o engines is that

of
the 80s made U.S. cars. Unless you get into the higher end diesels, etc.

So for a small boat i recommend an outboard Honda.

GM makes great marine base inboard engines. Honda and Toyota can't really
match then for that.