NOYB

Default Why need anchor chain?

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:

I just lost a nice Fortress anchor yesterday because I don't think I had
enough chain on the line while trying to use an Anchor buoy retrieval
system.

Good Lord! NOYB, you own a boat? :-)

The Rulers of Thumb say the minimum amount of chain should be at least

equal to
the LOA of your boat.

Step up. That "extra" chain won't cost anywhere nearly as much as the

Fortress
you just lost.

Gulp! 25 feet of chain? What diameter? Can you use a heavier chain to get
away with a shorter rode? Remember, I don't have a windless.

NOYB

"Don White" wrote in message

NOYB wrote in message
ink.net...

I just lost a nice Fortress anchor yesterday because I don't think I had
enough chain on the line while trying to use an Anchor buoy retrieval
system. I started powering forward at a 30 degree angle to the

line/anchor,
and the buoy normally pops it loose. In this case, the line apparently
dragged across some of the sharp relief (rocks ?) on the bottom and cut
through the rope like butter. I had on about 10 feet of chain...and now

wish
it was 15 feet.

As they advise in the power Squadron courses...the anchor chain length
should be equal to your boat LOA.

Most of the time I'm fishing reefs in water shallower than the length of my
boat. I was tarpon fishing in 19 feet on Sunday when I lost my anchor. I'd
have mostly chain out rather than rope. 25 feet seems like a lot of chain
for a 5000 lb. 25' center console with a cuddy.

Gould 0738

Gulp! 25 feet of chain? What diameter? Can you use a heavier chain to get
away with a shorter rode? Remember, I don't have a windless.

If you have a 25' boat, you should be able to get by with 1/4" chain. 25-feet
would weigh about 15 pounds. You probably catch, or hope to catch, fish heavier
than that.

Since the "get by" is 1/4 inch, you might want to step up to 5/16 or 3/8.

5/16 will weigh about 10 pounds for ten feet, so your chain would weigh 25
pounds.

3/8 will weigh about 14 pounds per ten feet, so your chain would weigh 35
pounds.

Gould 0738

Famous last words......

Most of the time

Harry Krause

Gould 0738 wrote:

Gulp! 25 feet of chain? What diameter? Can you use a heavier chain to get
away with a shorter rode? Remember, I don't have a windless.

If you have a 25' boat, you should be able to get by with 1/4" chain. 25-feet
would weigh about 15 pounds. You probably catch, or hope to catch, fish heavier
than that.

Since the "get by" is 1/4 inch, you might want to step up to 5/16 or 3/8.

5/16 will weigh about 10 pounds for ten feet, so your chain would weigh 25
pounds.

3/8 will weigh about 14 pounds per ten feet, so your chain would weigh 35
pounds.

I only have a six foot chain on the Parker 25. Lots of times I anchor in
shallow water, and I don't like the "all chain rode" a 25' chain would
give me.

Gould

Could I get an estimate of chain needed for my 31 foot ChrisCraft, all wood,
approximately 10,000 lbs.

Still finishing everything on it, hoping to be able to launch in June.

http://www.wildhorse-webdesign.com/boat

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Gulp! 25 feet of chain? What diameter? Can you use a heavier chain to

get
away with a shorter rode? Remember, I don't have a windless.

If you have a 25' boat, you should be able to get by with 1/4" chain.

25-feet
would weigh about 15 pounds. You probably catch, or hope to catch, fish

heavier
than that.

Since the "get by" is 1/4 inch, you might want to step up to 5/16 or 3/8.

5/16 will weigh about 10 pounds for ten feet, so your chain would weigh 25
pounds.

3/8 will weigh about 14 pounds per ten feet, so your chain would weigh 35
pounds.

Bowgus

The weight of the chain acts as a shock absorber and the length should be
minimum the length of the boat ... 18' boat, 18' chain.

Ivan Yonge wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
My friend told me to use Anchor chain to attach between the anchor and the
rope.. what is the reason? I was trying to search on Internet but

couldn't
find a good explanation. Can anyone tell me why please? thanks

I.Y

Wayne.B

On Mon, 03 May 2004 22:14:17 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

Gulp! 25 feet of chain? What diameter? Can you use a heavier chain to get
away with a shorter rode? Remember, I don't have a windless.

1/4 inch chain should be more than enough, less than 20 pounds, OK if
you have a good bow roller and a half decent back.

Don White

"NOYB" wrote in message
ink.net...

Most of the time I'm fishing reefs in water shallower than the length of

my
boat. I was tarpon fishing in 19 feet on Sunday when I lost my anchor.

I'd
have mostly chain out rather than rope. 25 feet seems like a lot of chain
for a 5000 lb. 25' center console with a cuddy.

Even just dropping an anchor for fishing in 19 feet of water you'd probably
want a 3:1 ratio.
That's at least 60 feet of rode. We always put out 5:1 for the 9500 lb
mirage 33 I sail on.
On 100 ft of rode...the 33 feet of chain doesn't seem so bad.
When I pick up my Sandpiper 565 this weekend, (I hope) I'll be putting 19
feet of chain and about 100 feet of line on the anchor. Since the boat has
a retractable keel, I can anchor in shallow water.

Gould 0738

I only have a six foot chain on the Parker 25. Lots of times I anchor in
shallow water, and I don't like the "all chain rode" a 25' chain would
give me.

Unless you're in less than 8 feet of water, you should have some rope out as
well.
Even at a short 3 to 1 scope, in 9 feet of wtaer you'd have 27 feet of rode
deployed...actually more if you follow good practice and take the distance
between the bow roller and the surface into account as well as the depth.