Harry Krause

Default Why need anchor chain?

Gould 0738 wrote:

Gulp! 25 feet of chain? What diameter? Can you use a heavier chain to get
away with a shorter rode? Remember, I don't have a windless.

If you have a 25' boat, you should be able to get by with 1/4" chain. 25-feet
would weigh about 15 pounds. You probably catch, or hope to catch, fish heavier
than that.

Since the "get by" is 1/4 inch, you might want to step up to 5/16 or 3/8.

5/16 will weigh about 10 pounds for ten feet, so your chain would weigh 25
pounds.

3/8 will weigh about 14 pounds per ten feet, so your chain would weigh 35
pounds.

I only have a six foot chain on the Parker 25. Lots of times I anchor in
shallow water, and I don't like the "all chain rode" a 25' chain would
give me.