Ivan Yonge

Default Why need anchor chain?

My friend told me to use Anchor chain to attach between the anchor and the
rope.. what is the reason? I was trying to search on Internet but couldn't
find a good explanation. Can anyone tell me why please? thanks

I.Y

FredB

see http://www.johnsboatstuff.com/Articles/anchor.htm for an explanation
or
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...nchorrodes.htm

Doug Kanter

The chain protects you in case you've dropped the anchor near something
which could cut the rope, like a rock or some sort of metal garbage. Since
an anchor could save your life under certain circumstances, the chain is
VERY cheap insurance.

"Ivan Yonge" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
My friend told me to use Anchor chain to attach between the anchor and the
rope.. what is the reason? I was trying to search on Internet but

couldn't
find a good explanation. Can anyone tell me why please? thanks

I.Y

Jack Dale

On Mon, 03 May 2004 14:07:54 GMT, "Ivan Yonge"
wrote:

My friend told me to use Anchor chain to attach between the anchor and the
rope.. what is the reason? I was trying to search on Internet but couldn't
find a good explanation. Can anyone tell me why please? thanks

Chain serves a dual purpose:

It prevents chafe on the rode as it scrapes along the bottom.

It adds to the ability of the anchor to remain set by providing extra
weight and by adding some shock absorbing.

Jack
Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy
Director/ISPA and CYA Instructor
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com
Phone: 1 (877) 470-SAIL (toll free)
Doug Kanter

.....and due to its weight, it can also reduce the angle between the rode and
the sea/lake bed, which will help the anchor "bite" better. I've read this,
but I'm not sure how important it really is. Probably depends on the
prevailing conditions when you first drop anchor.

"Ivan Yonge" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
My friend told me to use Anchor chain to attach between the anchor and the
rope.. what is the reason? I was trying to search on Internet but

couldn't
find a good explanation. Can anyone tell me why please? thanks

I.Y

Gould 0738

...and due to its weight, it can also reduce the angle between the rode and
the sea/lake bed, which will help the anchor "bite" better. I've read this,
but I'm not sure how important it really is.

Critical.
Doug Kanter

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
...and due to its weight, it can also reduce the angle between the rode

and
the sea/lake bed, which will help the anchor "bite" better. I've read

this,
but I'm not sure how important it really is.

Critical.

I wondered about it because (at least in my imagination), you could anchor
in a VERY stiff wind, which might straighten the rode so quickly that the
chain might not have the time to achieve the smaller angle. Who knows....

Back to my boring sandwich. Yawn........

Doug Kanter

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
news:c3dhc2g=.2d69cea291ff00a9a27a6790524776f5@108 3604031.nulluser.com...
FredB wrote:

see http://www.johnsboatstuff.com/Articles/anchor.htm for an explanation
or

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...nchorrodes.htm

A reason some may not think of...

Chain adds to the weight of your anchor, so to speak, so if you are
anchoring in an area with wind or current, and you want to get the
anchor down to the bottom as quickly as possible so you end up anchored
near where you want to be, the chain helps sink the anchor, especially
if you are using a Danforth-style anchor.

Also: If you keep some very large plastic wire ties aboard, like the police
sometimes use in place of handcuffs, the chain provides a convenient series
of holes to which you can attach passengers who have become a problem.
"We've been fishing for almost 1/2 hour. When can we go home?"

Dunk.

Ivan Yonge

These are very good articles, thanks

Simon

"FredB" wrote in message
see http://www.johnsboatstuff.com/Articles/anchor.htm for an explanation
or

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...nchorrodes.htm

NOYB

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
The chain protects you in case you've dropped the anchor near something
which could cut the rope, like a rock or some sort of metal garbage. Since
an anchor could save your life under certain circumstances, the chain is
VERY cheap insurance.

I just lost a nice Fortress anchor yesterday because I don't think I had
enough chain on the line while trying to use an Anchor buoy retrieval
system. I started powering forward at a 30 degree angle to the line/anchor,
and the buoy normally pops it loose. In this case, the line apparently
dragged across some of the sharp relief (rocks ?) on the bottom and cut
through the rope like butter. I had on about 10 feet of chain...and now wish
it was 15 feet.