Don

Two fold

To stop abrasion on the bottom

In a good blow the added weight of the chain keeps the anchor pulling
horizontally and therefore digs deeper as opposed to being pulled up at
a 45' angle

djb wrote:

great question!!
"Ivan Yonge" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

My friend told me to use Anchor chain to attach between the anchor and the
rope.. what is the reason? I was trying to search on Internet but

couldn't

find a good explanation. Can anyone tell me why please? thanks

I.Y

Bilgeman

labomba states:

-In a "good blow", the small amount of chain used in most chain and rode
setups is not going to keep the rode at a shallower angle. -

Bilge- I'm not a deck-ape, mind, but I've sure been on the forepeak enough
during anchoring operations.

You also have to consider how big a circle you're allotted, swinging around
and fetching up against someone else's ship is considered bad form.

Most Captains I've sailed with pay out however many shots required to radius
their circle, and then have the bosun set the brake, then they back down slow
astern to "set" the anchor.

After the deckies set the devil's claw, the "hang" of the chain is checked
regularly by the mate on watch. Especially after the Sea-Land Express dragged
her anchor and grounded off Capetown last year.

Cheers;

Mutiny is a Management Tool
Select Your Tattoo while Sober