Bill

Default Bottom Painting

Just bought a used 20' Aqua Sport Skiff that has been in the water and needs
to have the bottom scraped sanded and repainted.
I am totally new to this. After sanding do I need to do anything else before
applying bottom paint and what is the best kind of bottom paint to use. I
intend to leave the boat in the water at a slip.

Thanx for any advice,
Bill

There's a really comprehensive site that covers all aspects of bottom
and topside painting.

www.yachtpaint.com

*JimH*

"Bill" wrote in message
k.net...
Just bought a used 20' Aqua Sport Skiff that has been in the water and
needs to have the bottom scraped sanded and repainted.
I am totally new to this. After sanding do I need to do anything else
before applying bottom paint and what is the best kind of bottom paint to
use. I intend to leave the boat in the water at a slip.

Thanx for any advice,
Bill

Find out what the previous owner used. Not all bottom paints are compatible
and unless you remove all the previous coats completely you may run into a
problem.

John Jay

Gene,
I assume you mean seal the bottom with an epoxy paint. This is a great way
to minimize blisters. If the boat stays in the water, I would do this even
if I knew what the original bottom paint was.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:01:38 -0400, "*JimH*" wrote:

Find out what the previous owner used. Not all bottom paints are
compatible
and unless you remove all the previous coats completely you may run into a
problem.

And.... if you find that you must remove all of the previous coats,
you should seal the bottom in accordance with the manufacturer of the
new paint's instructions.

Painting the bottom of a fiberglass gheenoe Ethan General 0 January 14th 05 01:27 PM
prepping bottom for spring painting sel1 General 6 October 17th 04 01:08 AM
Bottom paint vs performance Phil DiVincenti General 7 September 10th 04 07:42 PM
Bottom painting Parallax Cruising 23 November 23rd 03 01:31 AM
Looking for books or articles on bottom painting and other maintenance . . . Steve General 0 November 3rd 03 11:09 AM