Phil DiVincenti

Default Bottom paint vs performance

When I bought my new 30 ft express cruiser and after sea trail I had bottom
anti foul paint applied.

It seems that the performance including top end is different. Is it my
imagination or will bottom paint actually make a difference.

I now have a lift and keep my boat out of the water. If I thought there is
a difference is it pratical to remove the bottom coating. Wasn't the bottom
sanded prior to application? so will I have a less than smooth bottom?

Any comments appreciated.

LaBomba182

Subject: Bottom paint vs performance
From: "Phil DiVincenti"

When I bought my new 30 ft express cruiser and after sea trail I had bottom
anti foul paint applied.

It seems that the performance including top end is different. Is it my
imagination or will bottom paint actually make a difference.

I now have a lift and keep my boat out of the water. If I thought there is
a difference is it pratical to remove the bottom coating.

Perhaps. Can you confirm your seat of the pants loss of performance with a boat
that has no bottom paint on it but is the same otherwise?

Wasn't the bottom
sanded prior to application?

Again, perhaps. It should have been but that means nothing.

so will I have a less than smooth bottom?

That can be beneficial to speed. It's a laminar flow thing.

Capt. Bill
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 02:54:15 GMT, "Phil DiVincenti"
wrote:

When I bought my new 30 ft express cruiser and after sea trail I had bottom
anti foul paint applied.

It seems that the performance including top end is different. Is it my
imagination or will bottom paint actually make a difference.

I now have a lift and keep my boat out of the water. If I thought there is
a difference is it pratical to remove the bottom coating. Wasn't the bottom
sanded prior to application? so will I have a less than smooth bottom?

Any comments appreciated.

Good question and here is an answer for you.

The bottom of my 20 foot Ranger is painted - no barrier coat. It
performs about the same as it did when the bottom wasn't painted.

However, my plans changed when another boat came up that the deal was
just too good on, so now the Ranger has it's bottom painted, but it
spends it's time on the trailer.

The best estimate I received on the bottom paint removal (soda blast,
smooth, compound and wax) was $3,500 for a 20 foot boat. And that was
from a friend. The highest was $5,800. That was in the CT/MA/RI
area.

Add about 30/40% to that price for your Express Cruiser.

Later,

Tom
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
Harry Krause

wrote:

[...]

I really dislike bottom painting on smaller boats, which is one of the
reasons why I prefer storing them on trailers or on racks. The painting
does involve a performance hit, plus boats age more quickly when they
are kept in the water.

There's a couple guys at the small boat marina where I keep our Parker
who have slips with boat lifts installed. This seems a reasonable
compromise, in that the boat is just abvout ready to go, but it isn't
sitting in the water. Maintenance is a lot easier, and so is
electrolysis prevention. But, of course, you pay a premium for the
lift...about the same price as an annual bottom painting, actually.

Off on the Pax River's creeks, you see lots of very large boats...40
footers and larger...on lifts.

--
Not dead, in jail, or a slave? Thank a liberal!
And don't forget to pay your taxes so the rich don't have to!
Wayne.B

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:35:36 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Off on the Pax River's creeks, you see lots of very large boats...40
footers and larger...on lifts.

====================================

Same here in SW FL, the vast majority of my neighbors have their boats
in lifts. The benefits are greatly reduced corrosion, bottom fouling,
gel coat blistering, as well as protection from wake damage and storm
surge (up to a point).

Harry Krause

wrote:

Off on the Pax River's creeks, you see lots of very large boats...40
footers and larger...on lifts.

====================================

Same here in SW FL, the vast majority of my neighbors have their boats
in lifts. The benefits are greatly reduced corrosion, bottom fouling,
gel coat blistering, as well as protection from wake damage and storm
surge (up to a point).

I agree...and it sure puts a lot of waterfront contractors to work.
Gotta wonder about the costs involved in putting together a lift that'll
hold up 20-30 tons...and in installing it, including pilings.

--
Not dead, in jail, or a slave? Thank a liberal!
And don't forget to pay your taxes so the rich don't have to!
Wayne.B

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:03:45 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

I agree...and it sure puts a lot of waterfront contractors to work.
Gotta wonder about the costs involved in putting together a lift that'll
hold up 20-30 tons...and in installing it, including pilings.

It's in the range of 50 to 100K$. A basic dock with a lift for a 30
somthing boat is about 15 to 20K$.

Harry Krause

wrote:

I agree...and it sure puts a lot of waterfront contractors to work.
Gotta wonder about the costs involved in putting together a lift that'll
hold up 20-30 tons...and in installing it, including pilings.

It's in the range of 50 to 100K$. A basic dock with a lift for a 30
somthing boat is about 15 to 20K$.

Interesting. The fellow who runs the marina where I keep my Parker told
me a lift slip would run me about $2700 a season...that's only about
$500 more than a slip fee. I've been considering it.

--
Not dead, in jail, or a slave? Thank a liberal!
And don't forget to pay your taxes so the rich don't have to!

Interlux Bottom Paint Question Mike Cruising 6 June 17th 04 12:24 AM
Bottom Paint katysails ASA 27 March 24th 04 09:07 PM
Replacing bottom paint Mike Cruising 4 February 12th 04 02:28 AM
white film on green bottom paint, running dditto General 1 August 18th 03 12:28 AM
Removing bottom paint... Rural Knight General 1 August 6th 03 02:03 AM