Mike

Default Interlux Bottom Paint Question

I recently had Freedom Marina in Deerfield Beach, Florida do a new bottom
paint job on my boat. On the bottom, they claim to have used Interlux
antifouling paint on top of Primocoat primer and a sanded never painted
fiberglass bottom. The Volvo Duoprop outdrive was treated with Trilux spray
on Aerosol. Three weeks after the paint job I am getting small barnacles
growing on the bottom paint, props and outdrive. I used a brush to wipe
them off underwater and it leaves a small spot on the paint where each
barnacle was attached. On the outdrive, the brush basically rubs off the
paint.

This is my first boat and common sense tells me it is not normal for
barnacles to adhere so rapidly. I thought the copper in the paint (at least
for the first 6 months or so would eliminate the growth)? I store the boat
in the Intracoastal Waterway Lake Boca Raton near the Boca Inlet in South
Florida. I am considering bringing the boat back to the marina that did the
work as I question how many coats they did and if the outdrive was sanded
and primed properly before they applied the paint. On the outdrive it seems
like they just sprayed it and didn't prep the surface at all.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions you can offer.
-Mike

Karin Conover-Lewis

Which specific Interlux bottom paint did they use? There are a few of them,
and they behave differently. In any event, barnacles after three weeks would
annoy the hell out of me, too. But it might just be a very difficult season
down there -- are your neighbours having the same problem? If you have
neighbours with the same bottom paint but you're fouling and they're not,
you have a strong complaint.

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Rich Hampel

If the area that the soft shelled barnacles are attaching is anywhere
near a ZINC, this is common. They will eventually or should disengage
and fall off from the paint before they fully harden their shell.
Whats happening is that the zinc is 'locally' neutralizing the
electronic charge from the copper oxide, it also means that the zinc is
'working'. If the barnacles are forming far distant from a zinc
location, then you may have a paint 'problem'.

In article , Karin Conover-Lewis
wrote:

Which specific Interlux bottom paint did they use? There are a few of them,
and they behave differently. In any event, barnacles after three weeks would
annoy the hell out of me, too. But it might just be a very difficult season
down there -- are your neighbours having the same problem? If you have
neighbours with the same bottom paint but you're fouling and they're not,
you have a strong complaint.

Karin Conover-Lewis

Interesting tip, Rich. Explains why the bottom paint is just plain gone at
my lower gudgeon, which has a tear-drop zinc attached to it. Diver must have
been scrubbing that area vigorously. I'm planning to give that area several
coats when I repaint the bottom next year (on the hard this year).

--

"Rich Hampel" wrote in message
If the area that the soft shelled barnacles are attaching is anywhere
near a ZINC, this is common. They will eventually or should disengage
and fall off from the paint before they fully harden their shell.
Whats happening is that the zinc is 'locally' neutralizing the
electronic charge from the copper oxide, it also means that the zinc is
'working'. If the barnacles are forming far distant from a zinc
location, then you may have a paint 'problem'.

Rich Hampel

Get some oxytetracycline from your veterinarian, make a powder of the
crystals and add it to the paint near any 'problem' areas where
barnacles attach to the paint. Effect will only last a season.

I also think the oxytet is commercially available .... called
"Compound-X" etc.; available from BoatUS/WM, etc. but expensive.

wrote:

Interesting tip, Rich. Explains why the bottom paint is just plain gone at
my lower gudgeon, which has a tear-drop zinc attached to it. Diver must have
been scrubbing that area vigorously. I'm planning to give that area several
coats when I repaint the bottom next year (on the hard this year).

Karin Conover-Lewis

Rich -- I've heard of that, had never really considered it seriously. But
I've printed out your recommendation and will keep it in my files so maybe
I'll remember to do it. I've also heard of adding cayenne pepper to bottom
paint, but don't know whether there is any data to support it.

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959
klc dot lewis at centurytel dot net

"Rich Hampel" wrote in message
Get some oxytetracycline from your veterinarian, make a powder of the
crystals and add it to the paint near any 'problem' areas where
barnacles attach to the paint. Effect will only last a season.

I also think the oxytet is commercially available .... called
"Compound-X" etc.; available from BoatUS/WM, etc. but expensive.

Mike

Not sure which Interlux paint they used... sometimes I'm not sure if those
guys at the marina even know there is more than one type of paint... I think
they often play dumb to their advantage. That is really interesting about
the zinc being a potential part of the problem. Something I did not mention
is that the boat has an active electronic corrosion control system with
electrodes mounted on either side of the outdrive on the transom (it's a
single engine boat). A lot of the barnicle growth was definately in the
transom area and on the stainless prop although there were some along the
underside of the boat and just below the waterline along the entire length
(not many but enough to motivate me to rub them off with a brush).

The trim tabs (which had a bit of growth... cleaning with the brush pretty
much took off the paint) have small zincs mounted on them. The surfaces of
the hydraulic actuators that control the trim tabs also had a lot of growth
which I totally removed. I am concerned as we are only in week 2 of
splashing the boat in the water.

I will call the marina tomorrow to see if they can tell me what Interlux
paint was used and mention there is quite a bit of growth given the short
amount of time the boat has been in the water. I will also ask another
person that has his boat in the wet a few docks down... he dives so it's
likely he monitors the condition of the bottom.

Thanks for all the good information!
-Mike

Replacing bottom paint Mike Cruising 4 February 12th 04 02:28 AM
Wanting to remove bottom paint, need advise Mike General 6 September 20th 03 09:19 AM
white film on green bottom paint, running dditto General 1 August 18th 03 12:28 AM
Removing bottom paint... Rural Knight General 1 August 6th 03 02:03 AM