sel1

Default prepping bottom for spring painting

The bottom of my fiberglass hull appears to have many layers of anti-fouling
paint. I was thinking about sanding it down some then repainting in the
spring. I understand that I need to be careful that I don't sand into the
gelcoat(?). I was thinking of using an orbital sander with 80 grit
sandpaper. Any reason to not take this approach? Do I need to clean it right
after or will leaving it still spring be ok. The hull has already been power
washed.

Thanks,
SteveL

Wayne.B

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:37:43 -0400, "sel1" wrote:

I was thinking of using an orbital sander with 80 grit
sandpaper.

It will take forever and you'll use a ton of sand paper before you're
done. Best bet is a good chemical stripper, probably more than one
application, followed by a light sanding. After you've done all that
it might be a good time for some barrier coats. I've never used it
but others have reported good results with a stripper called "Peel
Away". I've also heard reports of people making their own stripper
by mixing methylene chloride with corn starch as a thickening agent.

Careful, toxic stuff.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:27:26 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:37:43 -0400, "sel1" wrote:

I was thinking of using an orbital sander with 80 grit
sandpaper.

It will take forever and you'll use a ton of sand paper before you're
done. Best bet is a good chemical stripper, probably more than one
application, followed by a light sanding. After you've done all that
it might be a good time for some barrier coats. I've never used it
but others have reported good results with a stripper called "Peel
Away". I've also heard reports of people making their own stripper
by mixing methylene chloride with corn starch as a thickening agent.

Careful, toxic stuff.

It's about $60 per bucket which does 35/40 sq ft per.

Thanks Wayne - I've been looking for a way to take the bottom paint
off my Ranger this winter - this is it.

I was just to lazy to go looking for it.

All the best,

Tom
--------------

"What the hell's the deal with this newsgroup...
is there a computer terminal in the day room of
some looney bin somewhere?"

Bilgeman - circa 2004

sel1

I thought sanding would be quick because you just rub your hand on this
stuff and your hand is covered with it! I might look a Smurf when done, but
it would be the cheaper way?

Is the "Peel Away" system where you layer on the stripper than cover it with
paper like sheets and it all congeals into one mass and you just scrape it
all off? Sounds like a cleaner way to do it.

I could take a good guess by what you call it but the barrier coat, is that
a water proofing seal or something and what kind of paint would you use.

Thanks,
SteveL

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:37:43 -0400, "sel1" wrote:

I was thinking of using an orbital sander with 80 grit
sandpaper.

It will take forever and you'll use a ton of sand paper before you're
done. Best bet is a good chemical stripper, probably more than one
application, followed by a light sanding. After you've done all that
it might be a good time for some barrier coats. I've never used it
but others have reported good results with a stripper called "Peel
Away". I've also heard reports of people making their own stripper
by mixing methylene chloride with corn starch as a thickening agent.

Careful, toxic stuff.

Wayne.B

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:21:03 -0400, "sel1" wrote:
I thought sanding would be quick because you just rub your hand on this
stuff and your hand is covered with it! I might look a Smurf when done, but
it would be the cheaper way?

Try a few square feet and see how it works out. Most bottom paints
take a lot of hard work to sand off and you put a lot of dangerous
dust into the air while you're doing it.

Is the "Peel Away" system where you layer on the stripper than cover it with
paper like sheets and it all congeals into one mass and you just scrape it
all off? Sounds like a cleaner way to do it.

Yes.

I could take a good guess by what you call it but the barrier coat, is that
a water proofing seal or something and what kind of paint would you use.

Yes, it protects against water intrusion into the gel coat. There are
a number of different systems available. Here's a good one but there
are others:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/xrefintepoxybk.asp

sel1

I ended up sanding mostly built up areas and spots that were flaking or
looked like it might be starting.

I don't know what paint is on there now but what I ended up using was a
drywall sanding screen. I must say it worked really well and hardly wore out
the pad at all. A lot of the dust would collect right in the pad and all I
had to do was tap it and it would all fall out. I paid $3 for 5 pads at Cdn
Tiew and $8 for the hand sander the pads fit on to.

Just thought I would pass that on.

Guess I will forego the barrier coat for now. How does one decide or know
that a berrier coat is needed?

SteveL

Interlux Bottom Paint Question Mike Cruising 6 June 17th 04 12:24 AM
Bottom painting Parallax Cruising 23 November 23rd 03 01:31 AM
Speaking of bottom cleaning, what about keel hauling? Glenn Ashmore Cruising 6 November 5th 03 01:53 PM
Looking for books or articles on bottom painting and other maintenance . . . Steve General 0 November 3rd 03 11:09 AM