Glenn Ashmore

Default Speaking of bottom cleaning, what about keel hauling?

The recent threads on bottom cleaning reminded me of something we tried
on a charter in the BVIs last summer. We had picked up a Beneteau 41 at
Nanny Cay. Nanny Cay marina has very poor circulation and it was
August, late in the season. We soon found that the bottom was fast
becoming a marine wildlife perserve. One of the crew found about 40' of
old ragged 1" hemp hauser in the dry storage yard. The kind that makes
your hands hurt just looking at it. The first night we stopped on the
back side of Peter Island. It was out near the point at White bay where
there was a fair westward current.

We looped the hauser under the bow and worked it back past the keel
pulling it back and forth from side to side. Then we did the same from
the prop forward and again from the prop back to the transom. Produced
a great cloud of green slime and blue ablative bottom paint. It took
about half hour of hard work but except for a small triangle over the
keel and a strip above the prop shaft the bottom was spotless. The
rudder and keel were a different matter but what the heck. It was an
off season rental. At least we got some decent speed out of the boat
after that.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Keith

Make your hands hurt indeed. I worked on a tugboat in the ICW one summer in
high school. One day the captain came and got me. Didn't tell me what for,
so I didn't have my gloves with me. We were coming into a lock and I had to
stop the barges with a rope like that. I actually lassoed the cleat on the
shore, and tried to get the requisite wraps on the barge cleat. Didn't quite
get it in time and the rope sang right through my hands, removing most of
the outer layer of skin. Ouch.

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
[...]

Larry W4CSC

I'd also think that method would work better if there were some kind
of floatation along the line that would cause the line to press up
against the hull as the floatation tried to get to the surface along
the hull's surface.

Would that help?

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 17:44:15 -0500, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

[...]

"Very funny, Scotty! Now, BEAM ME MY CLOTHES! KIRK OUT!"

Glenn Ashmore

Not needed in this case. I had a crew of big healthy UGA students to
operate the hauser. They run on beer pressure. :-) Actually by
dragging the hauser back to the cockpit once it hung on the front of the
fin got everything down to about 18" above the keel.

OTOH, it would probably not work for a wine glass full keel hull. A
couple of fenders covered in scotchbrite or such and tied into the line
might get the hollows.

fuel tank cleaning kozmo6969 General 3 June 11th 04 07:00 PM
Divers Needed for bottom cleaning & zincs in SF Bay Rob Boat Building 1 June 9th 04 04:22 PM
From swing keel to fixed keel Haakon Dybdahl Boat Building 4 June 8th 04 03:52 PM
San Juan 21 swing keel problem Lee Huddleston Boat Building 11 June 8th 04 12:09 AM
C&C Corvette Floor and Keel Questions jcassara Boat Building 0 July 5th 03 12:37 PM