Haakon Dybdahl

Default From swing keel to fixed keel

Hi,

I have a 22' sailboat with a new keel. The boat originaly had a swing keel,
but a fixed keel is made and installed. The keel is fixed inside a well. I
have a hard time making a non leaking connection between the hull and the
keel. The keel is long and probably moving, making smal openings. How should
it be connected to the hull? The keel is sorrounded with fiberglass but the
connection to the hull is leaking. Should I made a smal gap between the hull
and the keel so the fiberglass might flex some more? Should I use something
like Sikaflex and made a layer outside the keel/hull connection? Any
suggestions? Thanks

Haakon

"Haakon Dybdahl" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I have a 22' sailboat with a new keel. The boat originaly had a swing keel,
but a fixed keel is made and installed. The keel is fixed inside a well. I
have a hard time making a non leaking connection between the hull and the
keel. The keel is long and probably moving, making smal openings. How should
it be connected to the hull? The keel is sorrounded with fiberglass but the
connection to the hull is leaking. Should I made a smal gap between the hull
and the keel so the fiberglass might flex some more? Should I use something
like Sikaflex and made a layer outside the keel/hull connection? Any
suggestions? Thanks

Do you have an accurate as-built sectional view of the modification available?
Haakon Dybdahl

Do you have an accurate as-built sectional view of the modification
available?

No, but I can try to explain in more details. The following link shows the
original design of the boat.
http://www.cashflowfactory.com/keelrepair/Index.html

There are no brackets in my boat. The new keel looks very much like the old
keel. Instead of the brackets, four bolts are holding the keel. These bolts
go through the well and through the keel. Since the well the keel is placed
in is heavy built, the keel seems to be fastened well. However, because the
brackets are missing, and because of the bolts, I would like to have a water
tight conjunction at the buttom. The new keel is covered with fiberglass
which is also covering the area around the keel, but because of moment of
the keel this is not water teight. The problem is how to get this water
teight.

Haakon

Hi,

I have a 22' sailboat with a new keel. The boat originaly had a swing

keel,
but a fixed keel is made and installed. The keel is fixed inside a well.

have a hard time making a non leaking connection between the hull and

the
keel. The keel is long and probably moving, making smal openings. How

should
it be connected to the hull? The keel is sorrounded with fiberglass but

the
connection to the hull is leaking. Should I made a smal gap between the

hull
and the keel so the fiberglass might flex some more? Should I use

something
like Sikaflex and made a layer outside the keel/hull connection? Any
suggestions? Thanks

Terry Spragg

Haakon Dybdahl wrote:

[...]

First, it must be made rigid, so it does not move. Wedges, spacers,
adjustable clamps, whatever, at top and bottom.

Then, cover the seam with glass cloth or fill with bog and fair it.

Perhaps a long (wide?) wedge tapped in along the gap, then fixed in
place with screws and when trimmed off fair? The screws might only
go into the keel, and might pull the wedge up, that is into the gap,
making it tighter. Or, some big through bolts to compress the spacer
strips at the bottom?

Might wet wooden wedges expand, opening the c/b trunk, stressing the
hull? Perhaps you could just fill the entire gap with lots of
expanding foam around a few metal spacers? It might be removeable
with an acetone spray.

Will it be exposed to freezing while afloat? You don't want water
freezing inside an enclosed space.

Do you want to be able to remove it again?

I would consider not worrying about seepage, just so long as the
thumping is gone, and no water leaks inside the boat. A small seam
seeping into the trunk space won't affect your sailing speed like a
larger open gap might. You might consider a simple foam sealing
strip to calm the turbulence there, it all depends on just how
fanatical you are about fixing the c/b situation.

Terry K

Haakon Dybdahl

Thanks Terry for the answer!

First, it must be made rigid, so it does not move. Wedges, spacers,
adjustable clamps, whatever, at top and bottom.

The keel was inserted into the keel well, fiberglass was put on the sides of
the keel, and finally bolts are put through the well and keel and tighten
the whole thing togeter. There is no movement in the keel to be felt. Mats
of fiber are put under the boat and closs the gap between the keel and the
hull. Put I "touched" some rocks and this seal was broken (lasted two
seasons).

Will it be exposed to freezing while afloat? You don't want water
freezing inside an enclosed space.

Excatly.. That is my problem.. I am also afraid that there might be non
visible leakages inside the keel well. The well is built with wood that is
sealed with fiberglass. But what if it is a leakage from inside not visible
to the outside. Slowly the whole well will rotten from inside... Not good..

Do you want to be able to remove it again?

No

I think the problem is that there is some movement (very little), but enough
to break the seal I made last winter. I only applied some epoxy without
using mats. When the boat was put into water the keel probably moved a
little and broke the seal. I am thinking about swimming under the boat and
applying some epoxy-kit while the boat is in the water. Maybe the keel is
now stable and this seal will keep water out during this seanson..... Later
on I will aply some mats....

Anyone applied epoxy underwater? I will first remove the antifouling, and
the try to apply it. I have to wait for the water to get a little hoter. It
is cold here in Norway..

Haakon

Botched up the keel Ree-Yees General 14 May 28th 04 06:40 PM
Fixed my engine (I think...) Yay! Lloyd Sumpter General 3 December 22nd 03 03:08 PM
Fibre Keel Grumpy General 1 October 19th 03 03:41 PM
Keel full of Oil John Wright Boat Building 0 September 27th 03 01:55 AM
C&C Corvette Floor and Keel Questions jcassara Boat Building 0 July 5th 03 12:37 PM