Parallax

Default Bottom painting

Practical Sailor just had a letter about boatyards not letting ppl do
their own bottom painting but still charging an arm and leg to have
the yard do it. My experience is that yards do a crappy job with
almost no surface preparation except for a pressure wash. The few
times I have allowed a yard to do it was a waste of money as it fouled
in less than 3 months. 6 years ago, I hauled my boat and sanded the
bottom, applied 3 coats of hard CuO based paint (BottomKote or
something like that)and suddenly had to stop sailing due to business
problems. My boat sat for 4 years being used very little in a place
that fouled heavily. Finally, I had her hauled to be brought to my
home and was amazed to find NO fouling at all. A boat next to mine
was so heavily fouled it grew oysters. I know from some past
experience that my own bottomcoating job is superior to that done by
the yardss but this was amazing. Did I do something right or just get
lucky?
Jere Lull

Parallax wrote:

[...]

From my experience, yards will use the cheapest formulation that works
in their area most years. Frankly, that makes sense.

On our first moored boat, I didn't know anything and paid the yard to do
the bottom at the start of a particularly bad year. Within a month, the
growth was almost 2" thick. They hauled, scraped and recoated the bottom
with something better at their cost.

Since, I've applied Practical Sailor's recommendations and have had
essentially no growth survive the powerwashing.

One year, as a test, I didn't overcoat our "hard" paint (supposedly it
was "dead" after 6 months' exposure to air. Little survived the
powerwashing, but there were a few carcasses of hard growth.

I few years ago, I started using an ablative paint and haven't had hard
growth survive powerwashing except where I didn't touch up the hard
paint showing through (another test). This time, I put two coats at the
waterline, a single coat below. We'll see how things worked this year,
though of course I don't know how hard our powerwash guy works.

--
Jere Lull

Ed

Although you mentioned copper based paint, 6 years ago you might of had
the last of the TIN based stuff (original Micro 44 etc) I used to get
2 years + with that paint. It was so good I rarely got barnacles on my
wheels even though the paint would not stick to the wheels (Just the
poison in the water I guess) It is now illegal except for large
commercial vessels (With better lobbyists)

Parallax wrote:
[...]

Parallax

Ed wrote in message ...
Although you mentioned copper based paint, 6 years ago you might of had
the last of the TIN based stuff (original Micro 44 etc) I used to get
2 years + with that paint. It was so good I rarely got barnacles on my
wheels even though the paint would not stick to the wheels (Just the
poison in the water I guess) It is now illegal except for large
commercial vessels (With better lobbyists)

Even I am afraid of that tin based stuff so I know it said 68% CuO.

Parallax wrote:
[...]

Steve

Besides Practical Sailor, can anyone suggest a good "how-to" book or article
(particularly for a beginner) dealing with the application of bottom paint
and other maintenance procedures?

Steve H.

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Jere Lull

Steve wrote:

Besides Practical Sailor, can anyone suggest a good "how-to" book or article
(particularly for a beginner) dealing with the application of bottom paint
and other maintenance procedures?

Sorry, but I can't think of any source that would be more current and
appropriate than Practical Sailor.

--
Jere Lull

Steve Helling

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
Steve wrote:

Besides Practical Sailor, can anyone suggest a good "how-to" book or

article
(particularly for a beginner) dealing with the application of bottom

paint
and other maintenance procedures?

Sorry, but I can't think of any source that would be more current and
appropriate than Practical Sailor.

--
Jere Lull

Water in bottom end.. over and over Chris General 6 June 30th 04 06:54 PM
Looking for books or articles on bottom painting and other maintenance . . . Steve General 0 November 3rd 03 11:09 AM
Bottom washer Parallax Cruising 9 November 2nd 03 01:40 PM
white film on green bottom paint, running dditto General 1 August 18th 03 12:28 AM
Removing bottom paint... Rural Knight General 1 August 6th 03 02:03 AM