Parallax

Default Bottom washer

Sorry, I just couldnt help it, even though I should think of other
things.

So...Useless idea #3738

marinas should install boat bottom cleaning systems like car wash
brushes except for the bottom of boats. This would keep down the
slime on boat bottoms and also prevent hard growth if done every now
and then in places without severe fouling. I imagine some sort of
brush system that scrubs your boat bottom like car wash brushes do.
What could they charge for such a service?
Steve

I'm afraid a bottom scrubber in a marina would concentrate antifoul paint
polutants in the water under this operation..

I know this was a problem with scrubbing navy ship bottoms in the shipyard I
worked in in San Diego. The EPA or some 'guys' came around regularly and
took bottom sediment samples and collected shell fish samples. We had to
stop the practice.

At the marina I'm in now there are rich shell fish beds under and near by.
They don't allow any divers to scrub bottoms there for that reason.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Jere Lull

Parallax wrote:

Sorry, I just couldnt help it, even though I should think of other
things.

So...Useless idea #3738

marinas should install boat bottom cleaning systems like car wash
brushes except for the bottom of boats. This would keep down the
slime on boat bottoms and also prevent hard growth if done every now
and then in places without severe fouling. I imagine some sort of
brush system that scrubs your boat bottom like car wash brushes do.
What could they charge for such a service?

DANG, that sounds like a good idea, except Steve's probably right: the
EPA would shoot it down.

--
Jere Lull

Neil Currey

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
Parallax wrote:

Sorry, I just couldnt help it, even though I should think of other
things.

So...Useless idea #3738

marinas should install boat bottom cleaning systems like car wash
brushes except for the bottom of boats. This would keep down the
slime on boat bottoms and also prevent hard growth if done every now
and then in places without severe fouling. I imagine some sort of
brush system that scrubs your boat bottom like car wash brushes do.
What could they charge for such a service?

DANG, that sounds like a good idea, except Steve's probably right: the
snip

There is a boat wash just like that in Haslar Marina in the UK.
A pair of slow rotating brushes scrub the bottom .Their is an article on it
in the Sept issue of the UK Practicle Boat Owner (page 7)
Neil C

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes Jere Lull wrote:

Parallax wrote:

Sorry, I just couldnt help it, even though I should think of other
things.

So...Useless idea #3738

marinas should install boat bottom cleaning systems like car wash
brushes except for the bottom of boats. This would keep down the
slime on boat bottoms and also prevent hard growth if done every now
and then in places without severe fouling. I imagine some sort of
brush system that scrubs your boat bottom like car wash brushes do.
What could they charge for such a service?

DANG, that sounds like a good idea, except Steve's probably right: the
EPA would shoot it down.

Would this not be a problem only with ablative paint? In FL, they use
hard bottom paint, and there are SCUBA folks who make a living
scrubbing the bottoms of the boats in the marinas. THe EPA has not
had a problem with it. They charge by the foot.

grandma Rosalie

James Johnson

There are such devices at a few marinas in England, they are hydraulically
powered using water for fluid to power them.

JJ

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 05:34:39 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Parallax wrote:

Sorry, I just couldnt help it, even though I should think of other
things.

So...Useless idea #3738

marinas should install boat bottom cleaning systems like car wash
brushes except for the bottom of boats. This would keep down the
slime on boat bottoms and also prevent hard growth if done every now
and then in places without severe fouling. I imagine some sort of
brush system that scrubs your boat bottom like car wash brushes do.
What could they charge for such a service?

DANG, that sounds like a good idea, except Steve's probably right: the
EPA would shoot it down.

James Johnson
remove the "dot" from after sail in email address to reply

Markus Sadeniemi

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...

marinas should install boat bottom cleaning systems like car wash
brushes except for the bottom of boats. This would keep down the

I saw one in the Swedish city of Nynäshamn:

http://www.nynashamn.se/net/V%e4lkom...tbottentv%e4tt

Antifoul paint is forbidden in Sweden (that's why they come to
Finland to buy it ;-)

Markus Sadeniemi

Terry Spragg

Parallax wrote:

Sorry, I just couldnt help it, even though I should think of other
things.

So...Useless idea #3738

marinas should install boat bottom cleaning systems like car wash
brushes except for the bottom of boats. This would keep down the
slime on boat bottoms and also prevent hard growth if done every now
and then in places without severe fouling. I imagine some sort of
brush system that scrubs your boat bottom like car wash brushes do.
What could they charge for such a service?

I have already published, and bequeathed to the public, my idea
to eliminate all bottom growth resulting from 'parking' the boat.

A 'water garage' consists of a plastic bag in the water, possibly
floated with pop bottles, which you draw around the boat when
parking it. One section is allowed to sink, so the bag may be
drawn under and around the boat and then raised to the surface to
completely surround the vessel. A pump in the boat draws out the
water inside the bag until the hull is dry, except for those
areas such as fixed propellors or rudders which cannot be lifted
out of the water. 'doghouses' could be devised to surround such
areas, guided into place with lines. Small smooth hulled vessels
are easiest to protect using this idea. A medium sized rock
inside the bag attached to a hose pickup will sink, forming a
sump and keeping the pumpout hose pickup under the deepest part
of the boat. Since the water would not need to be lifted, large
capacity, low head pumps, even possibly a *PWC, could be used to
pump out the water.

Treated wash water, or an anti growth compound, or a solution
tailored to dissolve only barnacle shells and zebra mussel shells
could even be introduced into the bag once pumped dry, and
recovered and recycled before departure, possibly stored in the
mooring float, if it is made from an oil drum, whatever. Perhaps
it would even be possible to concoct some paint that could be
introduced, possibly attracted to the hull material with an
electrostatic device, so as to chemically bond to the hull? If
it did not adhere to the bag material, bottom painting might
become very easy, and the true waterline would be automatically
painted on the hull in calm water.

To depart, a little water is introduced back into the bag, the
gate is lowered, the floatation boom manoueverd to one end of the
boat, the doghouse, if needed, removed, and the vessel departs.
All fouling due to being moored is eliminated, since the hull
remains dry while the bag is pumped out, and all water dependant
growth and electrolytic galvanic corrosion ceases once ''parked'
in the 'garage.' This idea could be used at the dock or at
anchor. It is particularily attractive for 'weekend' type boats,
especially I/O's, outboards and centerboarders.

Furthermore, bilge pumping becomes uneccessary so long as the bag
is intact and the floatation boom is tall enough. It could be
raised above it's floatation level with lanyards, high enough to
keep most waves out of the bag. It would work best in calm
anchorages, and could be kept pumped dry during heavy weather
episodes with smart standby pumps. Rain water might be welcome if
it flows into the bag from on deck. Salinity sensors could be
used to trigger standby pumps.

What type of plasic film would be best for the bag? Is there a
material that would sink, or be neutrally bouyant, or would
ballast weights be required in addition to the 'sump weight?'

*Incidentally, why not use a PWC jet pump in the PWC, in the
water, connected to a fire hose to fight fire or provide
irrigation on or near the shore? The PWC might need to be
restrained, but the water ejected from the pump could probably be
squirted high above a road beside a shoreline, and could land in
an area where it might be pumped further, to croplands, etc,
obviating the need to pipe water under a roadway. The hose
connector fitting on the pump exhaust could be a quick disconnect
wing nut setscrew or even a threaded connection. Talk about
smoke jumping! A floatable para wing would enable easy launch
from a ferry aircraft such as a C130, and could provide a safe
controllable landing on a lake or river near a fire, etc. Two or
three could be dropped, and one used to retrieve fuel drops and
other supplies while the remainder pump water. A 70 horse pwc
could move a lot of water! Long lengths of polypropelene fire
hose could be dropped and recovered for use if it floated.
--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is

Parallax

Terry Spragg wrote in message ...
Parallax wrote:

[...]

Thats a great idea since most boats rarely leave their docks.