BoatBanter.com

-   -   Bottom Painting (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/39367-bottom-painting.html)

Bill June 11th 05 03:43 PM

Bottom Painting

Just bought a used 20' Aqua Sport Skiff that has been in the water and needs
to have the bottom scraped sanded and repainted.
I am totally new to this. After sanding do I need to do anything else before
applying bottom paint and what is the best kind of bottom paint to use. I
intend to leave the boat in the water at a slip.

Thanx for any advice,
Bill

[email protected] June 11th 05 06:38 PM

There's a really comprehensive site that covers all aspects of bottom
and topside painting.

www.yachtpaint.com

*JimH* June 12th 05 12:01 AM

"Bill" wrote in message
k.net...
Just bought a used 20' Aqua Sport Skiff that has been in the water and
needs to have the bottom scraped sanded and repainted.
I am totally new to this. After sanding do I need to do anything else
before applying bottom paint and what is the best kind of bottom paint to
use. I intend to leave the boat in the water at a slip.

Thanx for any advice,
Bill

Find out what the previous owner used. Not all bottom paints are compatible
and unless you remove all the previous coats completely you may run into a
problem.

John Jay June 12th 05 03:28 PM

Gene,
I assume you mean seal the bottom with an epoxy paint. This is a great way
to minimize blisters. If the boat stays in the water, I would do this even
if I knew what the original bottom paint was.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:01:38 -0400, "*JimH*" wrote:

Find out what the previous owner used. Not all bottom paints are
compatible
and unless you remove all the previous coats completely you may run into a
problem.

And.... if you find that you must remove all of the previous coats,
you should seal the bottom in accordance with the manufacturer of the
new paint's instructions.