NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

NOYB wrote:
Yale grades portray Kerry as a lackluster student
His 4-year average on par with Bush's
By Michael Kranish, Globe Staff | June 7, 2005

WASHINGTON -- During last year's presidential campaign, John F. Kerry was
the candidate often portrayed as intellectual and complex, while George
W.
Bush was the populist who mangled his sentences.

But newly released records show that Bush and Kerry had a virtually
identical grade average at Yale University four decades ago.

In 1999, The New Yorker published a transcript indicating that Bush had
received a cumulative score of 77 for his first three years at Yale and a
roughly similar average under a non-numerical rating system during his
senior year.

Kerry, who graduated two years before Bush, got a cumulative 76 for his
four
years, according to a transcript that Kerry sent to the Navy when he was
applying for officer training school. He received four D's in his
freshman
year out of 10 courses, but improved his average in later years.

(In the interest of upholding international copyright laws, a significant
portion of this article has been snipped. Go to the link below to see
the
article in it's entirety.)

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/wa...dent? mode=PF

School transcripts have little bearing on someone's intelligence.

Is that the story you used to tell your mom?

Another truly ignorant and narrow minded question from NOYB, gee, why
am I not surprised?

Doug Kanter

wrote in message
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:19:59 -0400, DSK wrote:

He's not "portrayed" that way, President Bush does in fact mangle words
& sentences.

Bush has made a successful career by having people underestimate his
intelligence. I think he sits around inventing quotable ways to mangle
the language.
Think about it, what is harder? Simply winning because you are the
best candidate or finding a way to steal it and getting away with it?
A dumb guy could not devise and execute that plan
You folks can't have it both ways.

Without Rove or someone like him, Bush would be a mid-level manager at some
backwater oil exploration firm, kept there as a favor to his dad. You know
that.

NOYB

"HarryKrause" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:
[...]

What did Kerry take? I've seen Bush's transcript and noted he took all the
courses we referred to as "puds."

I've seen both of their transcripts. He took even easier classes than Bush.

NOYB

NOYB wrote:
[...]

What did Kerry take?

He got 4 D's his freshman year. D's!

I got one D in my *life*. Thermodynamics I. In Thermo II, I finally
decided to read the damn book back to chapter 1. Once I knew the difference
between an open and a closed system, I aced Thermo II.

I'm surprised Yale let someone with 4 D's stay in school. Purdue's
Engineering schools would have tossed him...and he'd have finished up as a
grad of the restaurant and hotel management school.

NOYB

"P.Fritz" wrote in message
Damn.....you should go out fishing tonight in the gulf........with the
numbers of bites you've had with this bait.
LMAO

I caught a couple of goliath grouper (fka--"jew fish") and a small gag
grouper on Sunday. They all fought a lot harder than the small guppies in
this pond.

P.Fritz

k.net...

NOYB wrote:
[...]

My alma mater would allow you to stay if your overall GPA was still about a
2.0, or you continued to get above a 2.0 each quarter if your overall was
below a 2.0. (academic probation) However, some of the colleges within the
institute would kick you out of the major if you received less than a 'C' in
any two required major courses, (including withdrawls, and including
repeating the class).....so even if you got a second 'D' in you last
quarter, you would not receive a degree in that major.

John H

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:19:59 -0400, DSK wrote:

If you want to see the *real* difference between the two, compare how
the two's children speak in public, and behave in general. But hey, if
'family values' matter most to you, then you probably won't care about
raising intelligent, well balanced, well-spoken, professional, and
high-achieving kids... at least, if you claim you care about family
values and voted for Bush anyway...

DSK

We should have elected Kerry. Besides well-balanced, well-spoken, professional,
and high-achieving kids, we could have expected:

Taxes to go up *only* for those making over $200,000,
The 'No Child Left Behind Act' to be fully funded,
The Iraq Coalition to become much larger very soon, especially with
all the French and German troops that will join,
Everyone able to have the same medical care afforded members of
Congress,
Cheap prescription drugs,
All children going to college,
An immediate end to the nuclear weapons aims of North Korea and Iran,
America to soon be the beloved nation of the entire world,
A tremendous decrease in unemployment,
A huge increase in high-paying jobs,
A resurgence of manufacturing jobs,
A tremendous decrease in outsourcing, with jobs returning to the US,
An energy independent America, with no reliance on Mideast oil,
A modernized military, able to meet all threats,
The failure of terrorist organizations to breed new generations,
A 50% reduction in the deficit,
Enforcement of all of our trade laws, with a complete review in 120
days,
An increase in the minimum wage to $7.00,
The creation of10 million new jobs in his first term,
Changes in credit laws to prevent very high interest rates,
The savings of billions of dollars in medical overhead costs,
The inspection of the 95% of containers entering the country not
currently inspected,
More secure borders,
The hardening of nuclear plants, airports, trains and subways against
attack,
Improvement of our intelligence gathering, analysis and sharing to
stop terrorists before they can do harm,
A tougher, smarter, more effective war on terror,
The securing of nuclear materials worldwide,
A speed-up in drug and vaccine development,
and,
did I mention he will raise taxes only on those making $200,000 or
more?

Did I leave anything out?

--
John H

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal,
murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a
particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to
miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his
continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction
... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real
...."
- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003
NOYB

wrote in message
oups.com...
Bush dumb? Kerry Dumber?

Dumber yet would be anybody equating GPA with intelligence. Grades have
a lot to do with motivation,
social issues, and (in what passes for education these days), the
ability to parrot back factoids on "exams" that do little to
demonstrate whether the student actually understands the material.

Bush has a lower verbal IQ than Kerry's, and probably slightly lower
than average. This is apparent to anyone who has heard him attempt to
speak without a prompter. He admits he doesn't read,

Bush never said that.

but rather has his
staff read newspapers and periodicals for him and prepare summaries.

Of course. The POTUS doesn't have the time to sit down and dissect two
dozen different newspapers each morning.

Verbal IQ is not the sum total of intelligence. There is another
portion of IQ, spatial reasoning and deduction
(i.e. math skills) where Bush may do very well. While one can observe
evidence of verbal IQ when another person attempts to communicate, the
other aspects are not apparent to the casual observer and are best
evaluated with a specialized test.

There is no doubt that Bush is more shrewd, cunning, and ruthless than
Kerry.

Cunningness is not something demonstrated by those of low IQ.

If those can be considered aspects of "intelligence", (and they
may well be- they allow a person to be effective against opposition),
Bush clearly wins in that category.

Can you name a better trait for a President, than having the ability to be
effective against opposition...particularly during a war?

Historians will never consider GWB to be the brightest bulb in the
presidential chandelier,

Certainly not the left-leaning historians. And a right-leaning historian
simply doesn't exist. Righties are the go-getters...and lefties are the
whining Monday morning quarterbacks.

but there is little direct correlation between
college grades and native intelligence. Some very bright people
undoubtedly went to college and screwed around socializing rather than
studying. College doesn't make anyone intelligent. Some emerge
"educated", but that is a different quality entirely.

Smartest presidents in the last 50 years would have to include:

JFK

Naw.

Jimmy Carter (proving there is no direct correlation between being a
smart person and an extremely good president)

Carter was quite intelligent, but not street smart.

Bill Clinton

Yes, very smart.

Ronald Reagan (in his first term)

Yes. In both terms.

Johnson, Nixon, and Bush the First were also pretty bright, but I'd put
them down a level below the group in the previous paragraph

Nixon was as smart and savvy as any of 'em. He lacked charisma and
self-confidence.

Bush the first was pretty sharp too.

Bush the Second and Gerald Ford bring up the rear, IMO.

Bush may be perhaps the smartest of all. He has a knack for consistently
making his opponents "misunderestimate" him. Yet he always comes out on
top. Either you have to believe he's pretty darn smart...or you believe
that Forrest Gump was a true story being played out in the White House.

INFO FOR NEWBIES Capt. Mooron ASA 20 March 19th 05 03:20 AM
More bad news for Bush, good news for Americans John Smith General 7 June 25th 04 05:10 PM
OT - FLIP-FLOPPING MAY HAVE INJURED KERRY’S SHOULDER Henry Blackmoore General 3 April 7th 04 10:03 PM
Bush Resume Bobsprit ASA 21 September 14th 03 11:22 PM