Default Used Suzuki Outboard Question

All:

I am thinking about picking up a 2001 Suzuki 115 4 stroke outboard for
my 18cc (I think it has about 350 hours on it). I currently have a
1997 90 merc 2 stroke, but I want a bit more power, more fuel
efficiency and less pollution.

Question: Does anyone have experience with a 2001 Suzuki 115 4 Stroke?
I understand that 2001 was the first year that the 115 was produced in
the 4 stroke configuration, and I tend to stay away from first year
model production runs. Thoughts?

Joe

tony thomas

What HP is your boat rated for? My guess is 150 hp.
You are not going to see much difference in performance between a 90 and
115. You will see a little more fuel economy but that will be about it. I
would look for the max hp your boat can handle.

As for the Suzuki. Don't know about that year but in general they are good
engines. Just make sure you have a good dealer local to your area. If you
don't - I would not even consider it.

Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
All:

I am thinking about picking up a 2001 Suzuki 115 4 stroke outboard for
my 18cc (I think it has about 350 hours on it). I currently have a
1997 90 merc 2 stroke, but I want a bit more power, more fuel
efficiency and less pollution.

Question: Does anyone have experience with a 2001 Suzuki 115 4 Stroke?
I understand that 2001 was the first year that the 115 was produced in
the 4 stroke configuration, and I tend to stay away from first year
model production runs. Thoughts?

Joe

Guys:

Thanks for the replies. Boat's Max HP is 140. I can't afford new, so
that leaves whatever comes in used, and I need a 20" shaft, and those
140's don't come in all that often. I was afraid that 115 would not
give me the power increase I was looking for.

OK, the other possibility is a used Suzuki 115 2stroke. Owned by a
little old lady who only used it to go to church..... Actually owned by
an older gent who wants 4stroke technology. Probably has 150 hours on
it -- easy hours.

Lastly, I could go with a merc optimax, but I hear mixed things about
those engines. I think Suzuki blows them out of the water (no pun
intended).

What do you guys think?

Joe

Butch Davis

In my experience a 115 FICHT is a great motor. Available from year 98(??)
on. The latest variation is an E-TEC I believe.

The K of OZ assures me that many are available on the used market or in OB
wrecking yards. I did a little search of the local (Mobile, AL)
salvage/used supplier and they had none and stated they had never had one.

A Yamaha DFI might also serve but I'm unfamiliar with the brand and it's DFI
offerings.

Butch
wrote in message
oups.com...
Guys:

Thanks for the replies. Boat's Max HP is 140. I can't afford new, so
that leaves whatever comes in used, and I need a 20" shaft, and those
140's don't come in all that often. I was afraid that 115 would not
give me the power increase I was looking for.

OK, the other possibility is a used Suzuki 115 2stroke. Owned by a
little old lady who only used it to go to church..... Actually owned by
an older gent who wants 4stroke technology. Probably has 150 hours on
it -- easy hours.

Lastly, I could go with a merc optimax, but I hear mixed things about
those engines. I think Suzuki blows them out of the water (no pun
intended).

What do you guys think?

Joe

tony thomas

Personally I would save my money and keep the engine you have.
What are you looking for:
1. More top end speed
2. More acceleration out of the hole
3. Lower rpms at plane speed
4. Lower plane speed
etc...
Chances are a good SS prop of the right size and type will do as much for
you than adding 25 hp and staying w/ a cheap aluminum prop.

Keep looking and you will find a good engine in a 135 to 140 range.

For longevity (years of trouble free service) I would stay away from the
Optimax.

--

-
wrote in message
oups.com...
Guys:

Thanks for the replies. Boat's Max HP is 140. I can't afford new, so
that leaves whatever comes in used, and I need a 20" shaft, and those
140's don't come in all that often. I was afraid that 115 would not
give me the power increase I was looking for.

OK, the other possibility is a used Suzuki 115 2stroke. Owned by a
little old lady who only used it to go to church..... Actually owned by
an older gent who wants 4stroke technology. Probably has 150 hours on
it -- easy hours.

Lastly, I could go with a merc optimax, but I hear mixed things about
those engines. I think Suzuki blows them out of the water (no pun
intended).

What do you guys think?

Joe

Del Cecchi

wrote in message
oups.com...
Guys:

Thanks for the replies. Boat's Max HP is 140. I can't afford new, so
that leaves whatever comes in used, and I need a 20" shaft, and those
140's don't come in all that often. I was afraid that 115 would not
give me the power increase I was looking for.

OK, the other possibility is a used Suzuki 115 2stroke. Owned by a
little old lady who only used it to go to church..... Actually owned by
an older gent who wants 4stroke technology. Probably has 150 hours on
it -- easy hours.

Lastly, I could go with a merc optimax, but I hear mixed things about
those engines. I think Suzuki blows them out of the water (no pun
intended).

What do you guys think?

Joe

I would go for the 115 4stroke. A 140 is only 20 percent more power or 10
percent top end.

A 99 Ficht? Go read the bass board at
http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboar...ors/index.html and see what
they have to say. Search on Ficht. Didn't OMC go bankrupt about then?

Optimaxes seem to be past the teething problems. But I really like 4
strokes for the way I use a motor. If'n I was rich I would upgrade to one.

del cecchi

Evinrude outboard question [email protected] General 13 February 11th 05 04:32 AM
1955 green johnson outboard question Boots Crofoot General 2 July 13th 04 04:31 AM
Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM
Johnson outboard cooling question. Chenz759 General 4 October 29th 03 04:07 AM
Timing Question, Using a Timing light on an Old Outboard. Joe Here General 5 October 29th 03 12:05 AM