Joe

Default Leaving The Newsgroup

"ReevesJ32" wrote in message
I've been reading this newsgroup for a few years now, giving advice where

and
when it was needed or requested. However, for various reasons (mostly the
political and BS), I find it's time to leave. Should anyone require advice

that
actually pertains to boating and/or their engines, I'd suggest visiting

the
following sites:

www.marineengine.com , www.maxrules.com , www.iboats.com

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)

Sorry to see you go Joe, you're a good man.

While I've not met you myself, my brother Chris bought a Johnson 175
powerhead from you and has nothing but praise for you and your abilities. In
fact, he still has the old blown powerhead if you'd like it. (His ex-wife's
father from Valrico was supposed to drop it off 2 years ago and forgot where
you lived. It now sits in my garage attic.)

Hope to see you on the other boards.

Take care,
Joe.

jim--

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:56:42 -0500, "jim--" wrote:

Is your (erroneous) assessment of my political convictions more
important that the possible loss of such an able boating contributor?

Exlain that to me again Eugene. I don't understand your question.

My question was, "do you care about the loss of a 30+ year mechanic
leaving due to off topic posts?"

Or do you really care? About boats, that is?

Earlier, you posted that you never came here to discuss boating. This
was not the forum that you chose to make on-topic posts. You came
here only to post off topic. Remember?

I care about boats. But less now than I used to as I sold mine due to my
wifes medical condition.

I am truly sorry about your wife's medical condition and I hope that
she recovers 100% and that the both of you do exceptionally well and
return to boating with gusto.

In the interim, however, I won't, be a party to your attempts to
vandalize this newsgroup nor bait me into a contrived situation.
Henceforth, I choose not respond to your thinly veiled attempts to
stir up mischief.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures

at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

That would depend on a couple of things.

1. Whether he/she was one of the principals responsible for the downfall of
this NG due to his/her constant OT political posts.
2. Whether his/her On-topic contributions outweigh their OT posts.

Krause and Gould meet criteria #1.

I cannot think of any OT poster (including me) that meets criteria #2.

Don't get me wrong....I am not saying you post OT often. What I am saying
is that you should be especially hard on those who have invited this current
environment, most especially Krause and Gould. You have not.

jim--

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 20:04:55 -0500, "jim--" wrote:

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:41:54 -0500, "jim--" wrote:

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
.. .

Harry Krawse seems to be your "textbook example" of what is wrong

with
this
NG. Combined with Chuck Gould they have managed to take this NG

from
boating NG to a political one.

But I see you have not filtered him out as you respond to some of

his
posts.

Will you be doing so in the near future? And have you add Chuck to

your
ignore filter also? Or is it only the people who have different
political
views (from yours) that you filter and bitch about?

Me thinks so.

Jim,

I have told Harry that he posts too much off topic. He does.

My standard, and it is admittedly somewhat subjective, is how much a
person *does* post on topic vs. his/her total posts tempered with
their stated intent. Harry has always been civil to me, even though
we stood toe-to-toe when I supported Bush in the last election. I
questioned his position, his sources, and his conclusions.... net
result was that (1) he was always a gentleman about it and (2) I

found
*myself* posting *WAY* too much off topic. I filter most of Harry's
posts by filters created to cleanse my downloads of off topic

content,
whether it be liberal, conservative, Republican, Democrat, whatever.
*ANY* OT content (detected by the software) goes in the bozo bin
without regard to the poster's identity.

My *REAL PROBLEM(s)* have been with those who almost *NEVER* (or

truly
never) post on topic. They come here to disrupt the newsgroup for
their own selfish reasons. Some have gone to the extreme lengths of
posting hundreds of off topic posts, admitting that they never come
here to discuss boating (since they go to other sites for ON-topic
posts) and then having the unmitigated gall to secretively email
those alternate sites as the alternative to get away from their
disruptive OT postings. Clearly, their hate is directed at

rec.boats.
I don't get it. Do you?

Understand that nearly all of my filters relate to *content* not
identities. The few people that I have killfiled by name or alias
have earned that dubious distinction by going out of their way to be
purposefully incendiary and predominantly off topic.

Bait *me* and you will *surely* end up in the bozo-bin. Such was
NOYB's fate.

You know... whatever you are using for a newsreader isn't clever
enough to remove signatures. How about editing the chaff out?

Show me whe

1. Harry does not insult someone in his reply to their post

disagreeing
with his.

He hasn't insulted me. He has made posts to people that are probably
inappropriate, but these tend to be those that come here to be
incendiary. If you are so inclined, "Live by the sword, die by the
sword." I don't care to take part.

2. Harry posts boating related topics.

Have at it, if you are really interested:
http://tinyurl.com/278a3

*He* is the center of the problem. Concentrate your efforts (to

improve
the
group) at him.

You are blind to the point that *ALL* off topic posts are equally to
blame. If *you* stop contributing to the problem, others will stop,
too. Do you want them to stop?

Your allegiance to the man is clear. No need for any further discussion.

Truly a pathetic ploy, but all for naught. Good-bye.

This reply was certainly not unexpected from you.

Carl Craver

Yep..."another one bites the dust".

All the bull**** in this group has lost so many experts.
Yea...you can use filters to keep the OT bull at bay,
but why should we have to?

This is a goup on BOATING!!!

When I brought up the subject a while back I got
nothing but negativity.

Carl G. Craver

"ReevesJ32" wrote in message
I've been reading this newsgroup for a few years now, giving advice where

and
when it was needed or requested. However, for various reasons (mostly the
political and BS), I find it's time to leave. Should anyone require advice

that
actually pertains to boating and/or their engines, I'd suggest visiting

the
following sites:

www.marineengine.com , www.maxrules.com , www.iboats.com

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)

John Smith

Gene,
Jim might be guilty of making off topic posts, but by no means is he the
real problem. The problem is that most of the regulars come here to make
off topic posts. jps, NYOB, basskisser, Harry, Charles etc. come here to
call each other names and tell each other how stupid they are. They no
longer enjoy discussing boats, and that is the reason the good people are
leaving.

[...]

John Smith

Carl,
It is easy to filter the group, but the people who want to discuss boating
are leaving this group in droves.

ink.net...

"ReevesJ32" wrote in message
I've been reading this newsgroup for a few years now, giving advice

where
and
when it was needed or requested. However, for various reasons (mostly

the
political and BS), I find it's time to leave. Should anyone require

advice
that
actually pertains to boating and/or their engines, I'd suggest visiting

the
following sites:

www.marineengine.com , www.maxrules.com , www.iboats.com

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)

Harry Krause

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:56:42 -0500, "jim--" wrote:

Earlier, you posted that you never came here to discuss boating. This
was not the forum that you chose to make on-topic posts. You came
here only to post off topic. Remember?

That's right..."jim--" did state that here.

Bert Robbins

"Don White" wrote in message

John H wrote in message

I don't even live in Texas or Florida!

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

We can't hold Maryland responsible for that!

That's the People's Rebublic of Maryland!

JIMinMA

"Eisboch" wrote in message
.. .

"ReevesJ32" wrote in message
I've been reading this newsgroup for a few years now, giving advice

where
and
when it was needed or requested. However, for various reasons (mostly

the
political and BS), I find it's time to leave. Should anyone require

advice
that
actually pertains to boating and/or their engines, I'd suggest visiting

the
following sites:

www.marineengine.com , www.maxrules.com , www.iboats.com

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)

Joe,

As a long time participant but now only an occasional lurker --- hate to
see you go, but certainly understand the reasons. Thanks for all your
positive contributions back when this was a decent NG.

Eisboch

I second Eisboch's comment. Thanks for helping make rec.boats what it used
to be, a boating news, discussion, and help group. The group is now a
disgrace to the boating community, thanks to many of the current
participants. Best wishes Joe.
Jim

Mudfish\(Co30\)

Ahah.. another rude jackass for my killfile list.

Go Join the reast of them "Don White"

"Don White" wrote in message

Joe Parsons wrote in message
So just give the guy a break. Give him the respect he deserves.

Maybe he'll actually get involved in boating somehow.

Joe Parsons

That so Henry?? or is Joe too optimistic?