Harry Krause

Default Rarely, do I not get a useful newsgroup answer, HOWEVER...

Gene Kearns wrote:
y'all have forced me to go it alone on this one. My 1987 Gulfstream
had twin 1986 Yamaha 150s installed. I realized that they would not
last forever and in order to dispose of them while they still had some
commercial value, I elected to go the 4-stroke route.

I did a lot of research and decided to go with the most cost effective
motor I could find that had the least negatives.... I got no real
negatives on Suzuki and I got the best price by FAR from a local
dealer for the Suzuki 4-stroke 140 HP engines.

New gauges, new controls (compete), new engines, and new props.....

I hope I did the right thing.... I'll be posting the results as I get
them.....

Any thoughts??

Perhaps this has changed, but not so long ago, Suzuki dealers were among
the weakest of outboard dealers in terms of facilities, training,
investment, knowledge, et cetera. The word was, if you couldn't get a
big-time franchise, you went with Suzuki. That may not be true any
longer, or it may not be true for your dealer.

I'd want to inspect the repair facilities, the parts department and I'd
want to know about parts inventories.

You might want to talk to any owners of larger cataramans, which seem to
mate up with pairs of Suzukis fairly frequently.

Good luck.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Ðon ßailey

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:45:28 -0400, "Ðon ßailey"
wrote:

Boat Clinic does seem to have their act together.

I got mine from Barry Adkins (Blackbarry Marine)... next to Marine
Mart.

I think they've opened up a 2nd branch on OI too.

The Stewarts cleaned out the old "hardware" building (victim of
Lowe's, I guess) and it will soon be for (perpetual) rent retail
locations. So.. they had to move from that location closer uptown. I
did notice a new storefront with there name on OI... but, I was
advised away from them because they were slow in getting to repairs...

I mentioned Boat Clinic because my Dad has had some service
work done there (he knows little about outboards) and
they were courteous and prompt with him. They could have
taken him for a ride if they wanted. He has an 80's model
50hp suzuki. Quite the dependable little motor it is.

I hope these work well for you.

Thanks.

btw,

What became of the old yamys??

Almost unbelievable. They sold, controls and all, on eBay. I got
almost $3,000 for them FOB and they went to the West Coast of Canada.
Locally, they are worth about $1800.

????? huh??

Did you have to pack up/ship those rascals yourself?

I will be curious to learn how the 140's 4-strokes stack up
(power wise) against the 150's.

This is still out for study. I haven't got a lot of hours on them yet
and there are some issues with rigging, but I don't think I'll be able
to tell a lot of difference. They use very little fuel, compared to
the Yammys.

Sweet.

There is some lag in getting on plane that might not be
desirable in a ski boat... not a problem for me. I think I will need
different pitch props, before I know the final result....

db~I may do the same thing some day.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures

at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

NOYB

My brother got the 140 Suzuki awhile ago. He loves it, and it's had zero
problems. I've seen several tests comparing the 115 (same engine) to the
Yamaha, Honda, and Mercury 115's...and it always came out on top. I believe
they're offering a 6 year warranty on that motor, too.

[...]

NOYB

Good luck with your engines. When are they getting rigged?

I used to have a '91 Gulfstream with a single Yamaha 225 on a bracket. That
boat is really meant to have twins (or the new 300hp HPDI Yamaha). Let me
know how it goes.

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:34:47 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

My brother got the 140 Suzuki awhile ago. He loves it, and it's had zero
problems. I've seen several tests comparing the 115 (same engine) to the
Yamaha, Honda, and Mercury 115's...and it always came out on top. I

believe
they're offering a 6 year warranty on that motor, too.

I only got the three year... but did get a reduction in price. The
3+3 years is back, now if you buy soon. It comes and goes according
to the calendar...

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures

at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Ðon ßailey

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:51:52 -0400, "Ðon ßailey"
wrote:

????? huh??

Did you have to pack up/ship those rascals yourself?

Nah... I left that between Barry and the Buyer. Barry is getting in
a couple of boxes of Yamaha 200's and I think they'll ship back in
those. Attempted banding to a pallet proved a disaster....

--

Those guys sound like they go the extra mile.

db

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures

at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Ðon ßailey

Mmmmmm......

Those look Gooood.

Just dreaming about how nice they'd look on the Maco.

Are they quiet?

db

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:15:48 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

Good luck with your engines. When are they getting rigged?

They're rigged and in the water, now! I've got a few hours on
them.....

See:

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/Cavern/My_Boat.htm

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures

at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

NOYB

Nice looking setup Gene. Have you gotten past the break-in? What's the top
end? Cruising speed? RPM at cruising speed? And, most important, FUEL
ECONOMY!

I'd expect you to see about 40mph with the weight and wind drag of that hard
top, no? Fuel economy should be about 2.5 mpg? Let me know.

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:15:48 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

Good luck with your engines. When are they getting rigged?

They're rigged and in the water, now! I've got a few hours on
them.....

See:

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/Cavern/My_Boat.htm

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures

at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Ðon ßailey

"NOYB" wrote in message
link.net...
Nice looking setup Gene. Have you gotten past the break-in? What's the

top
end? Cruising speed? RPM at cruising speed? And, most important, FUEL
ECONOMY!

I'd expect you to see about 40mph with the weight and wind drag of that

hard
top, no? Fuel economy should be about 2.5 mpg? Let me know.

Should be better than 2.5 mpg..no???

Hell I get almost 2 mpg with a couple '84 yamys @3600 rpms.

db

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:15:48 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

Good luck with your engines. When are they getting rigged?

They're rigged and in the water, now! I've got a few hours on
them.....

See:

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/Cavern/My_Boat.htm

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time

Pictures
at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

Rec.boats
at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Ðon ßailey

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:21:38 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

Nice looking setup Gene. Have you gotten past the break-in? What's the

top
end? Cruising speed? RPM at cruising speed? And, most important, FUEL
ECONOMY!

I'm past (initial) break-in, but, as I said, there are some rigging
issues. The throttle controls are not in sync. I have gotten 6300
RPM on the starboard engine and 6500 RPM on the port engine. Redline
is 6200 RPM, so I quickly pulled back the throttles without checking
all of the stuff I'd like to know. It looks like different pitch
props may be a necessity, as I went from Aluminum 13.75 X 17 to SS 14
X 17. Pretty hard to rationally discuss apples and oranges, but over
rev is over rev.

RPM, now calm down..... gets really strange. Bear in mind there is a
huge difference in torque curves. These engines are only 125 Cu In
and develop their HP with RPM. With full fuel (200 Gals = 1200 lbs.)
two adults aboard and full water and gear.... (Old Yamaha figures in
parenthesis) Cruise looks like (3800)4400 RPM at (30)30 MPH.
All of this is subject to change if subsequent runs indicate that a
different prop is in order.

Engines: (V6)Inline-4 Cylinders, (158)125 Cu In, (475)415 Lbs.,
(5600)6200 Redline.

I'd expect you to see about 40mph with the weight and wind drag of that

hard
top, no? Fuel economy should be about 2.5 mpg? Let me know.

My hull is the old style hull, limited to 350 Hp Max and did get the
advertised 45 MPH prior to changing engines. From what I have seen, I
would expect to see 40 MPH with these engines. Fuel economy isn't
really clear yet.... I know the installer put *some* time on the
boat, but don't know how much. Before I cranked the engines the first
time, I installed hour meters so I *know* that *I* have put 7.5 hours
on them. I would have done more, but the weather has really sucked...

waterspouts,

You saw that too.

I was couple miles from the sea bouy when that thing formed.
I wish I had a camera that day.

I don't know how many you've had but the one
I saw was a couple weekends ago. (Saturday)
I could never tell exactly where that thing was. It look like it was
over the Yaupon pier.

This one was quite large with a couple daughters dancing around it.

db

NOYB

The cruise RPM seems consistent with the old Yamaha's. You used to run at
about 68% of max RPM with the Yammies, and you now run about 70% of max RPM
with the Suzuki's. I'll bet that when you reprop, that number will fall
quite a bit.

So, you have lighter, quieter, more fuel efficient engines that don't need
oil...and you've given up a little top end (maybe).

Sounds like you "done good".

[...]

waterspouts, thunderstorms, and threatening clouds..... plus, the
better half has had a bout with kidney stones..... (when Momma ain't
happy, ain't nobody happy.....)

Break-in regime is:

15 Mins - Idle
1 hour 45 mins - Less then 3000 RPM
1 hour - 4000 RPM
Next 7 hours at any RPM, except not at Max throttle for more than 5
min.

During the last 4 hours I have not babied the engine, wanting enough
BMEP to insure break-in. So.... for 7.5+ hours use it appears I have
used about 40-45 gals fuel. Assuming an average speed of about 14 MPH
(which may be low), 2.5 MPG seems reasonable.