Thomas Townsend

Default advice on motor

I'm considering purchasing a 16' G3 jon boat. The package comes with
a 40 Yamaha. My question: Should I go with the 40, or should I move
up to the 50 or 60? Usually there will be only a couple of people in
the boat, but there will be times when there will be a total of 4-5
adults. To move up from the 40 to the 50 would cost 420. Do you
think it's worth the extra money?
TIA
Thomas
Tony Thomas

Absolutely. You can always back off on the gas but you can never add more.
The 40 is not going to get the job done with 3 or more people in the boat.
Go w/ the max hp rating (I assume 60) if you plan to max out the people.
Cost now is nothing compared to not liking the boat and trying to upgrade
for $2000 or more later.
You will love the boat with plenty of power. You will hate it and run it
wide open all the time with the 40.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Thomas Townsend" wrote in message
om...
I'm considering purchasing a 16' G3 jon boat. The package comes with
a 40 Yamaha. My question: Should I go with the 40, or should I move
up to the 50 or 60? Usually there will be only a couple of people in
the boat, but there will be times when there will be a total of 4-5
adults. To move up from the 40 to the 50 would cost 420. Do you
think it's worth the extra money?
TIA
Thomas

Bob La Londe

I have an older 50HP (probably puts out 40SHP) on my 16' jon boat, and it is
under powered. If I trim it up and live with a mild amount of porpoising I
get 30MPH out of it with a light to medium load. With it trimmed to
eliminate porpoising I only get 25 mph out of it at the same RPM. I am
seriously considering repowering with a newer motor to be able to truly run
my maximum rated horsepower. Yes and extra 5-8 mph makes a big difference
to me. One thing I am amazed at though is that under any trim my little
Whacko jon boat comes out of the hole jsut fine. Even with a huge tackle
bag up front and a full livewell.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com
"Thomas Townsend" wrote in message
om...
I'm considering purchasing a 16' G3 jon boat. The package comes with
a 40 Yamaha. My question: Should I go with the 40, or should I move
up to the 50 or 60? Usually there will be only a couple of people in
the boat, but there will be times when there will be a total of 4-5
adults. To move up from the 40 to the 50 would cost 420. Do you
think it's worth the extra money?
TIA
Thomas

QLW

I disagree with going to the 60. I had a 16'x6' wide Al. Jon boat with a
Johnson 25 hp that would run at 30 MPH with 2 aboard and carry 4 people OK.
I would have rather had a 40 on it but certainly not a 60. I sold the Jon
Boat and I'm now using that same 25 on a 16' Carolina Skiff. I really do
need a 40 on the Skiff, but again not a 60. I'll get a 4 stroke 40 when the
Johnson 25 gives up the ghost.
You don't say which 16' G3. Only one model is rated for more than 40 HP. At
less than $500 difference, the 50 HP sounds like a good choice. Is it a 2
or 4 stroke? I guess that my opinions are influenced by the cost of
operating the boat (we put a lot of hours on our boats) and the extra weight
of an engine that is bigger than needed. We have several boat dealers in
our area that will let you take a test drive and that would seem like a good
way to decide.

BTW, My 6 hp 4 stroke sailboat engine would actually get the Jon Boat up on
plane with 2 aboard and we used it in a few lakes that were limited to 10
hp...but it was definitely "marginal" at best.

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message
[...]

Jim and Becky

I did a litlle research on engine weights.
From the 2004 Yamaha website:
4 stroke: 40 hp/3 cyl/ 182 lbs.
50 hp/4 cyl/233
60 hp/4 cyl/244
2 stroke: 40hp/3 cyl/189 lbs
50 hp/3 cyl/189
60 hp/3 cyl/228

Notice the 4 stroke 40 is lighter than the 2 stroke 40.
And look at the 50 4 stroke weight vs the 50 2 stroke weight. 44 lbs!
If its a 2 stroke you're buying minds well choose the 50 hp over the 40hp.

"Thomas Townsend" wrote in message
om...
I'm considering purchasing a 16' G3 jon boat. The package comes with
a 40 Yamaha. My question: Should I go with the 40, or should I move
up to the 50 or 60? Usually there will be only a couple of people in
the boat, but there will be times when there will be a total of 4-5
adults. To move up from the 40 to the 50 would cost 420. Do you
think it's worth the extra money?
TIA
Thomas

Thomas Townsend

The G3 model that I'm getting is the 1652 SC. The motors are all
2-stroke, with 60 being the max. The 40 comes with the package, but a
50 is also available. The dry hull weight is listed at 660 lbs. The
boat is listed for 5 people with a maximum weight cap of 1100. What
do you think?

Thomas

"QLW" wrote in message ...
[...]

QLW

Again, because I spend so much time on the water, fuel consumption becomes a
bigger factor in my engine choice. I really regret that I did not buy a 4
stroke 40 when I bought my current Johnson 25. But it was on sale, last
one, end of year... and it was more than "just adequate" for the Al. Jon
boat but "just bearly adequate" for my Carolina Skiff. So If I were buying
the G3, I'd go for a four stroke. But if the boat is only going to see the
water 8 or 10 times a year then the savings in fuel may not be enough to
justify the increased cost of the 4 stroke. But, in my opinion, there are
so many advanatages to the 4 over the 2 stroke that I would pay the
difference even if they got the same gas mileage.
My poor Johnson 25 is about 8 years old and has hardly ever been flushed out
with fresh water. The Skiff is winched up onto it's bunkboards on my pier
and I can't easily get to the motor to flush it so I don't. I know it will
have a limited life and when I have to replace it with an expensive 4 stroke
my attitude toward flushing may change.

"Thomas Townsend" wrote in message
om...
The G3 model that I'm getting is the 1652 SC. The motors are all
2-stroke, with 60 being the max. The 40 comes with the package, but a
50 is also available. The dry hull weight is listed at 660 lbs. The
boat is listed for 5 people with a maximum weight cap of 1100. What
do you think?

Thomas Townsend

I want to thank everyone for the input on which motor to choose. I
just got back from the dealer's where I was lucky enough to run into
someone who had the exact boat I'm thinking of buying. He said that
he chose the 50 hp because it is better than the 60 when it comes to
trolling. He said that he had a friend who had the 60, and it just
didn't idle as well as the 50. He also said that the 50 did well with
a boat load. Since I plan on mostly fishing and no skiing, I'm going
to go with the 50.

I appreciate the advice. Thanks to all.

Thomas

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote in message . ..
On 21 Mar 2004 07:25:34 -0800, (Thomas
Townsend) wrote:

I'm considering purchasing a 16' G3 jon boat. The package comes with
a 40 Yamaha. My question: Should I go with the 40, or should I move
up to the 50 or 60? Usually there will be only a couple of people in
the boat, but there will be times when there will be a total of 4-5
adults. To move up from the 40 to the 50 would cost 420. Do you
think it's worth the extra money?

That's a good trade off money wise.

Under normal circumstances, I, and others, advise getting the max
motor for any boat. Having said t hat, a 60 for single handing is a
little much I would think.

Go for the 50.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653

Bill Kiene

Hi Thomas,

Yes, go for the 60hp Yamaha 4 stroke. The base weight for the 40hp is 182#
and the base weight for the 60hp is 244#. Their boats are rated for 70hp
max.

We have three friends we fish with that bought "packages" in our area where
they got the 16' with 40hp and with 2 people (total) aboard they are fine
but with 4 people it is a joke.

They all with they had a 60hp Merc or Yamaha but it too late because they
would loose a ton ($$$) selling their used 40hp and buying a new 60hp.

After 60hp (244#), you need to add 100# to get to 70hp so that is a serious
addition of weight on the transom.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop