QLW

Default advice on motor

I disagree with going to the 60. I had a 16'x6' wide Al. Jon boat with a
Johnson 25 hp that would run at 30 MPH with 2 aboard and carry 4 people OK.
I would have rather had a 40 on it but certainly not a 60. I sold the Jon
Boat and I'm now using that same 25 on a 16' Carolina Skiff. I really do
need a 40 on the Skiff, but again not a 60. I'll get a 4 stroke 40 when the
Johnson 25 gives up the ghost.
You don't say which 16' G3. Only one model is rated for more than 40 HP. At
less than $500 difference, the 50 HP sounds like a good choice. Is it a 2
or 4 stroke? I guess that my opinions are influenced by the cost of
operating the boat (we put a lot of hours on our boats) and the extra weight
of an engine that is bigger than needed. We have several boat dealers in
our area that will let you take a test drive and that would seem like a good
way to decide.

BTW, My 6 hp 4 stroke sailboat engine would actually get the Jon Boat up on
plane with 2 aboard and we used it in a few lakes that were limited to 10
hp...but it was definitely "marginal" at best.

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message
Absolutely. You can always back off on the gas but you can never add

more.
The 40 is not going to get the job done with 3 or more people in the boat.
Go w/ the max hp rating (I assume 60) if you plan to max out the people.
Cost now is nothing compared to not liking the boat and trying to upgrade
for $2000 or more later.
You will love the boat with plenty of power. You will hate it and run it
wide open all the time with the 40.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Thomas Townsend" wrote in message
om...
I'm considering purchasing a 16' G3 jon boat. The package comes with
a 40 Yamaha. My question: Should I go with the 40, or should I move
up to the 50 or 60? Usually there will be only a couple of people in
the boat, but there will be times when there will be a total of 4-5
adults. To move up from the 40 to the 50 would cost 420. Do you
think it's worth the extra money?
TIA
Thomas