Bob La Londe

Default advice on motor

I have an older 50HP (probably puts out 40SHP) on my 16' jon boat, and it is
under powered. If I trim it up and live with a mild amount of porpoising I
get 30MPH out of it with a light to medium load. With it trimmed to
eliminate porpoising I only get 25 mph out of it at the same RPM. I am
seriously considering repowering with a newer motor to be able to truly run
my maximum rated horsepower. Yes and extra 5-8 mph makes a big difference
to me. One thing I am amazed at though is that under any trim my little
Whacko jon boat comes out of the hole jsut fine. Even with a huge tackle
bag up front and a full livewell.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com
"Thomas Townsend" wrote in message
om...
I'm considering purchasing a 16' G3 jon boat. The package comes with
a 40 Yamaha. My question: Should I go with the 40, or should I move
up to the 50 or 60? Usually there will be only a couple of people in
the boat, but there will be times when there will be a total of 4-5
adults. To move up from the 40 to the 50 would cost 420. Do you
think it's worth the extra money?
TIA
Thomas