Diver1055

Default 225 Evinrude starter

My starter went bad on my 225 CR. Is there a place where I can get a reuild
kit for it. And I was looking in the web for this starter, the starter I have
is 586289. From what I gather it is the same as the 391511, 396235, 397023,
584799, and 586411. Is this so, and is there any diference between the counter
and standard rotation starters...

Thanks
Rick
Calif Bill

"Diver1055" wrote in message
My starter went bad on my 225 CR. Is there a place where I can get a

reuild
kit for it. And I was looking in the web for this starter, the starter I

have
is 586289. From what I gather it is the same as the 391511, 396235,

397023,
584799, and 586411. Is this so, and is there any diference between the

counter
and standard rotation starters...

Thanks
Rick

Take it to a starter / generator shop. Check your yellow pages. They
specialize in rebuilds.
Bill

Diver1055

You did not give us the model number of your outboard, and it makes a
difference. The '86-'87 counter rotation 225's (and V-8s) turned the motors
CCW and needed special starters and water pump assemblies. That starter part
number is 397264.

Later model 225 engines used a counter rotating gearcase and the motor
turned in the traditional clockwise manor. Part number 586411 is the
original starter which has been superceded by a more powerful version #
586731.

Bill Grannis
service manager

The Enigine is a 1994 Evinrude 225 CR. The starter I pulled out of it is
#586289. I am going to get this one rebuilt, but I would like to have a spare,
and hopefully I can get one that would work on both engines....

Thanks
Rick

Billgran

"Diver1055" wrote in message

Later model 225 engines used a counter rotating gearcase and the motor
turned in the traditional clockwise manor. Part number 586411 is the
original starter which has been superceded by a more powerful version #
586731.

Bill Grannis
service manager

The Enigine is a 1994 Evinrude 225 CR. The starter I pulled out of it is
#586289. I am going to get this one rebuilt, but I would like to have a

spare,
and hopefully I can get one that would work on both engines....

Thanks
Rick

Yep, the 586289 starter supercedes to 586411, then to the 586731.
Individual parts for the starter are available at any Johnson/Evinrude
dealer.

Bill Grannis
service manager