Billgran

Default 225 Evinrude starter

Subject: 225 Evinrude starter

On 12 Mar 2004 02:13:49 GMT, (Diver1055) wrote:

My starter went bad on my 225 CR. Is there a place where I can get a

reuild
kit for it. And I was looking in the web for this starter, the starter

I have
is 586289. From what I gather it is the same as the 391511, 396235,

397023,
584799, and 586411. Is this so, and is there any diference between the

counter
and standard rotation starters...

You did not give us the model number of your outboard, and it makes a
difference. The '86-'87 counter rotation 225's (and V-8s) turned the motors
CCW and needed special starters and water pump assemblies. That starter part
number is 397264.

Later model 225 engines used a counter rotating gearcase and the motor
turned in the traditional clockwise manor. Part number 586411 is the
original starter which has been superceded by a more powerful version #
586731.

Bill Grannis
service manager