Matt

Default Starter replaced by regular mechanic ? ? ?

I posted a similar question a little while ago, but not this specific.....

I need to replace/rebuild my starter, I am doing the labor of removing and
replacing it myself. My local (auto) mechanic that I have known for a while
said he will rebuild or get me a rebuilt starter, is there any difference
then a major price savings of having my local mechanic do it compared to a
boat marina? Are there any things that you need to do in order to "marine"
the starter?

Thanks for any info.

-Matt

bomar

The REAL answer is marine starters are screened to be explosion proof.
Gasoline vapors in your bilge like to go "POOF" when they encounter sparks.
If you are lucky the only major thing you are out is your engine cover which
is now in orbit.
It happens all the time.

Either:
have your auto mechanic rebuild your existing starter and make damn well
sure he reinstalls the screens that he doesn't know what they hell they are
for
or
buy a rebuilt marine starter and have him install it.

Napa can order them, but I buy most of my engine/outdrive stuff from
www.ebasicpower.com
I usually skip buying from the stealers.

Most auto mechanics will **** a brick when they find out how hard it is to
work on the engines in most V6 or V8 i/o setups. You need to be one hell of
a contortionist to get to a lot of the pieces and parts and able to work by
feel.
The plugs and wires on our Baja are a major pain in the ass to change, worse
than transverse mounted v engines in vans...at least you can put them on a
lift and do it from below.

"stephane marcoux" wrote in message
It will be the same job for a fraction of the price.

I work on an aircraft industry and the starter and alternator are rebuilt

by
a shop that they do the job for automotive and aeronautic. The difference

in
beetwen is the price and certification.... responsability. For the rst is
the samething

It's up to you to chose

Staphane

"Matt" a écrit dans le message de news:
I posted a similar question a little while ago, but not this

specific.....

I need to replace/rebuild my starter, I am doing the labor of removing

and
replacing it myself. My local (auto) mechanic that I have known for a

while
said he will rebuild or get me a rebuilt starter, is there any

difference
then a major price savings of having my local mechanic do it compared to

boat marina? Are there any things that you need to do in order to

"marine"
the starter?

Thanks for any info.

-Matt

Matt

So basically if i give them my old starter and my mechanic finds a rebuilt
one it SHOULD be a marine one with screens or whatever it has to protect
against the "POOF" ? ? ?

Thanks again....

"bomar" wrote in message
[...]

DaveH

I would (and have in the past) just take your starter and trade it on on a
marine rebuilt, at a marina. That way, you're pretty certain of getting a
real marine unit, put together correctly.

"bomar" wrote in message
[...]

DJ

"Matt" wrote in message
I posted a similar question a little while ago, but not this specific.....

I need to replace/rebuild my starter, I am doing the labor of removing and
replacing it myself. My local (auto) mechanic that I have known for a

while
said he will rebuild or get me a rebuilt starter, is there any difference
then a major price savings of having my local mechanic do it compared to a
boat marina? Are there any things that you need to do in order to

"marine"
the starter?

Thanks for any info.

-Matt

Matt: around here the automotive electric shops rebuild marine starters.
As others have mentioned, the marine version is indeed different but our
local shops are quite familiar with this and rebuild and/or marinize
starters all the time . You might check around - a rebuilt will be a lot
less than a new OEM type marine starter. I had a marinized GM engine (which
most mercruisers are?) in a previous boat and my mechanic recommended that I
get the old one rebuilt rather than buy new - something about shims needed
to fit a starter onto a GM block and it being easier to reuse a previously
fitted/shimmed one rather than starting with new. My local shop was able
to turn it around quite quickly (as I recall, 24 hours or so), assuming
they're not backed up. Turns out, the starter that was in the boat when I
bought it (used) was an automotive starter - I didn't know that. But the
shop was able to rebuild it and marinize it for what I thought was a
reasonable price.

If the automotive mechanic can tolerate working on the engine (clearances,
etc), my guess would be that the installation is similar. Good luck

DJ

Matt

Thanks for the info.... I plan i reinstalling the starter myself. I called
up a shop on the internet and they gave me a quote for a new MES starter
from $99-$149. I was questioning the price only because i have had quotes
ranging in the $250's... But from what a few were sayin on the post there a
reputable brand. I just have to make sure i get the right one

As for the shimes I'm really not familiar with that, only that my local
mechanic told me when i said i was doing it myself, "be careful when you
remove it cause of the shimes". I didn't notice any... we'll see..

THanks again for the info! !

"DJ" wrote in message
"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

DJ

"Matt" wrote in message
Thanks for the info.... I plan i reinstalling the starter myself. I

called
up a shop on the internet and they gave me a quote for a new MES starter
from $99-$149. I was questioning the price only because i have had quotes
ranging in the $250's... But from what a few were sayin on the post there

reputable brand. I just have to make sure i get the right one

As for the shimes I'm really not familiar with that, only that my local
mechanic told me when i said i was doing it myself, "be careful when you
remove it cause of the shimes". I didn't notice any... we'll see..

THanks again for the info! !

Hope it helps... Not to harp, I'd still recommend at least seeing if a local
shop can rebuild your old one for the two reasons you mention above. Might
be quicker, cheaper and easier. I've never heard anything bad about a
rebuilt starter, but I'm no mechanic. Have fun - I've only watched the guy
putting in my starter (so theoretically I could do it myself sometime if
need be) and it looked like "a lot of fun" if you get my drift. So, have
fun and hope you get back on the water soon. That seems to always be my
main motivating factor (which, being a non mechanic, can - can? make that
DOES cost a few extra bucks)

By the way, the $250 sounds like a "normal" marine gouge price to me -
that's about what a local marine dealer quoted me for the part and I ended
up getting mine rebuilt (including shiney new black paint) quickly, for less
than half that and no shimming issues.

DJ

"DJ" wrote in message
"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

John Gaquin

I had to replace one starter on the Queen a few years ago (Chrysler 318).
Quoted price for a new unit through the marina was about $275, through WM or
B/US about $240. I removed it myself and took it to a local shop that does
starter and alternator repair for a lot of local truck firms and marinas.
Full rebuild, marinized, was $160. I re-installed it myself. No problems
since. Check out the local rebuilds.

Regards,

John Gaquin
Brefnie Queen