Tom Mariner

Default Flywheel / Starter for 350 Repower

We swapped out a Mercruiser 260 for a new Indmar Vortec 310 Hp (350).
Everything is new in the engine compartment including the risers,
plumbing, etc. We are ready to float our Concorde 27 and let a local
yard do the final wiring of starter and ignition. (We went from a
distributor to a HE ignition system and wanted to make sure of the
change in wiring.

Now there is a discussion between the boatyard and the folks we bought
the engine from that the "14" flywheel is for an I/O and not for a
connection to a straight inboard (BW Velvetdrive)". The problem seems
to be that the starter is not meshing or something and we are getting
alternately:
a) The setup is OK and should work.
b) The Inboard setup will only work with a bottom mounted starter.
c) The flywheel is the right size, but the wrong type.

Does any of this make any sense or am I getting marine smoke blown up
my stern?