Matt

Default Starter replaced by regular mechanic ? ? ?

So basically if i give them my old starter and my mechanic finds a rebuilt
one it SHOULD be a marine one with screens or whatever it has to protect
against the "POOF" ? ? ?

Thanks again....

"bomar" wrote in message
The REAL answer is marine starters are screened to be explosion proof.
Gasoline vapors in your bilge like to go "POOF" when they encounter

sparks.
If you are lucky the only major thing you are out is your engine cover

which
is now in orbit.
It happens all the time.

Either:
have your auto mechanic rebuild your existing starter and make damn well
sure he reinstalls the screens that he doesn't know what they hell they

are
for
or
buy a rebuilt marine starter and have him install it.

Napa can order them, but I buy most of my engine/outdrive stuff from
www.ebasicpower.com
I usually skip buying from the stealers.

Most auto mechanics will **** a brick when they find out how hard it is to
work on the engines in most V6 or V8 i/o setups. You need to be one hell

of
a contortionist to get to a lot of the pieces and parts and able to work

by
feel.
The plugs and wires on our Baja are a major pain in the ass to change,

worse
than transverse mounted v engines in vans...at least you can put them on a
lift and do it from below.

"stephane marcoux" wrote in message
It will be the same job for a fraction of the price.

I work on an aircraft industry and the starter and alternator are

rebuilt
by
a shop that they do the job for automotive and aeronautic. The

difference
in
beetwen is the price and certification.... responsability. For the rst

is
the samething

It's up to you to chose

Staphane

"Matt" a écrit dans le message de news:
I posted a similar question a little while ago, but not this

specific.....

I need to replace/rebuild my starter, I am doing the labor of removing

and
replacing it myself. My local (auto) mechanic that I have known for a

while
said he will rebuild or get me a rebuilt starter, is there any

difference
then a major price savings of having my local mechanic do it compared

boat marina? Are there any things that you need to do in order to

"marine"
the starter?

Thanks for any info.

-Matt