DJ

Default Starter replaced by regular mechanic ? ? ?

"Matt" wrote in message
I posted a similar question a little while ago, but not this specific.....

I need to replace/rebuild my starter, I am doing the labor of removing and
replacing it myself. My local (auto) mechanic that I have known for a

while
said he will rebuild or get me a rebuilt starter, is there any difference
then a major price savings of having my local mechanic do it compared to a
boat marina? Are there any things that you need to do in order to

"marine"
the starter?

Thanks for any info.

-Matt

Matt: around here the automotive electric shops rebuild marine starters.
As others have mentioned, the marine version is indeed different but our
local shops are quite familiar with this and rebuild and/or marinize
starters all the time . You might check around - a rebuilt will be a lot
less than a new OEM type marine starter. I had a marinized GM engine (which
most mercruisers are?) in a previous boat and my mechanic recommended that I
get the old one rebuilt rather than buy new - something about shims needed
to fit a starter onto a GM block and it being easier to reuse a previously
fitted/shimmed one rather than starting with new. My local shop was able
to turn it around quite quickly (as I recall, 24 hours or so), assuming
they're not backed up. Turns out, the starter that was in the boat when I
bought it (used) was an automotive starter - I didn't know that. But the
shop was able to rebuild it and marinize it for what I thought was a
reasonable price.

If the automotive mechanic can tolerate working on the engine (clearances,
etc), my guess would be that the installation is similar. Good luck

DJ