Alan Hannas

Default Engine won't crank. Any suggestions?

I spent an hour on Susquehanna River the other day trying to get my
boat (1999 FourWinns/5.0L VP) started.

The details a
1. A few weeks ago I got into the boat, turned the key and NOTHING.
No start, no cranking, no solenoid clicking, no nothin'. After
several turns of the key, it suddenly cranked and started normally.
2. I used the boat a couple times since then without incident.
3. Last Friday it started normally. I took it a few miles up river
cut the engine and drifted a couple times. After a few normal starts,
the problem reoccurred.
4. The lights, blower, bilge pump all worked normally when key was
turned on.
5. I giggled and snapped the kill switch a few times - no change.
6. I dialed the Perko switch between all settings several times - no
change
7. I removed & cleaned battery terminals - no change
8. I removed and cleaned the cable connection to starter motor - no
change

Finally I removed the Perko switch. There was no evidence of any
corrosion on the backside where the cables attach. All were clean and
bright. I removed one of the battery cables from it and connected
directly to the starter. The engine started right up.

If the internal contacts on the Perko were corroded, I should think
they would have made contact after Step 6 above. I'm stuck. Anyone
have any thoughts?

Alan Hannas

Just in case anyone asks - yes, I did toss the anchor out to stop the
drift. And it did start to rain five minutes later. My luck was
running true to form.

megabite

Trace the grounding strap from the battery to somewhere on the motor or
bracket. A faulty ground cost me a tow, ignition switch, starter, solenoid,
and an entire weekend once.
[...]

Lloyd Sumpter

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:20:25 +0000, Alan Hannas wrote:

I spent an hour on Susquehanna River the other day trying to get my
boat (1999 FourWinns/5.0L VP) started.

The details a

Sounds like you know about this, but you didn't mention it, so...how about
the neutral switch (the one that only lets you start when the drive is in
neutral). Did you try jiggling the shift lever?

Also, I had a similar problem on my 1983 Mercruiser 120 - turned out that
this engine has TWO solenoids, and one had failed.

Lloyd

Rod McInnis

"
8. I removed and cleaned the cable connection to starter motor - no
change

Does the battery cable connect directly to the starter, or is there a
relay (a.k.a. "solenoid") ??

Many marine engines use a relay, usually mounted higher on the engine.
The heavy cable from the battery runs to this relay, and then another cable
runs down to the starter.

I highly recommend that you get yourself either a volt meter or a 12v test
light, or both. The test light is often all you need and is much faster to
poke around with.

Next time this happens:

If you have the relay, test the starter side of the relay. With the key
off, the starter side should have no voltage (light off). With the key
turned to start, the starter side should have 12 volts on it. You should
also be able to hear this relay "click". If you hear the click, but don't
get the voltage, try shorting across the two LARGE terminals with a screw
driver. It should spark a little, and the starter should operate. If the
key is on, the engine should start. If the starter does operate this way,
then either the relay is bad or the connection from the key switch to the
relay is bad (or the neutral switch is bad). If you hear the click of the
relay it will tell you that the switch connection is okay, it is the relay
that is bad.

If shorting across the relay does nothing then the problem is most likely
the starter. Worn brushes or a burned spot on the commutator can cause a
problem like this. If you are not into do it yourself electric motor work,
replace the starter.

If you don't have the relay then you should have two wires going to the
starter motor: a big battery cable and a small wire from the key switch.
These wires should connect to the starter solenoid, which sort of looks like
a 1-1/2 diameter tube that is attached to the side of the main starter
motor. The battery cable attaches to one large terminal on the starter.
Right next to it should be a similar terminal, with a wire that disappears
into the starter motor itself. A small wire, often with a push on
connection, should be right above these two large connections.

Again, you can use the screwdriver to short across the terminals to bypass
the key switch. CAREFUL! Do NOT short the battery cable to the engine
block! You should also make sure that there aren't any gasoline fumes
lurking about, as the spark that is generated can ignite them. If you
short across the two large terminals the motor should spin, but the engine
won't crank because the starter gear didn't get shoved into the flywheel
teeth. That's the job of the solenoid. If you short across the battery
terminal to the small wire terminal, it should operate the starter and the
engine should start. Again, if the solenoid is doing its thing you should
hear it go "thunk" as it shoves the gear teeth into the flywheel. If
nothing happens, then the solenoid is probably bad. If you hear "Thunk" but
the motor doesn't run, then it could be the brushes in the motor.

Rod McInnis

Capt. Frank Hopkins

I once had a flaky solenoid on a Mercruiser 7.4 (GM block) cause
symptoms like these.

Capt. Frank

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks

Alan Hannas wrote:

[...]

Wildest Dream

I would say you found the problem, replace the perco sw. it only has one output conn. that is probably corroded or buned.

Alan Hannas wrote:

[...]

This website is dedicated to the men and women who preserve
Life, Liberty and Freedom.

Frank n Amy's Boating Page St. Johns River and its Springs Abandon Ship Kit, Children's & Pet Life Jackets

Restaurant Reviews Pictures Links FAER Newsletter Gould's voyage pix - big photos bayliner drive failing

Welcome To Frank 'n Amy's
Homepage On The Web

Site Evolving
Thank You for your patience

Included Is A Short Photo Tour Of The St. Johns River And Information Regarding Marine Safety. Some Tourist Photos Are On The Pictures Page. More Images To Be Added Soon!

Contact Amy Contact Frank
Anyone that knows us knows we are avid Boaters
And Amy publishes the FAER Newsletter now online here
We also have a few pictures of Florida and some other stuff

Free Counter

Member USCG-A
JohnH

Alan Hannas wrote:

[...]

Removing and cleaning the ignition switch and contacts helped solve the same
problem for me.

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD