megabite

Default Engine won't crank. Any suggestions?

Trace the grounding strap from the battery to somewhere on the motor or
bracket. A faulty ground cost me a tow, ignition switch, starter, solenoid,
and an entire weekend once.
"Alan Hannas" wrote in message
I spent an hour on Susquehanna River the other day trying to get my
boat (1999 FourWinns/5.0L VP) started.

The details a
1. A few weeks ago I got into the boat, turned the key and NOTHING.
No start, no cranking, no solenoid clicking, no nothin'. After
several turns of the key, it suddenly cranked and started normally.
2. I used the boat a couple times since then without incident.
3. Last Friday it started normally. I took it a few miles up river
cut the engine and drifted a couple times. After a few normal starts,
the problem reoccurred.
4. The lights, blower, bilge pump all worked normally when key was
turned on.
5. I giggled and snapped the kill switch a few times - no change.
6. I dialed the Perko switch between all settings several times - no
change
7. I removed & cleaned battery terminals - no change
8. I removed and cleaned the cable connection to starter motor - no
change

Finally I removed the Perko switch. There was no evidence of any
corrosion on the backside where the cables attach. All were clean and
bright. I removed one of the battery cables from it and connected
directly to the starter. The engine started right up.

If the internal contacts on the Perko were corroded, I should think
they would have made contact after Step 6 above. I'm stuck. Anyone
have any thoughts?

Alan Hannas

Just in case anyone asks - yes, I did toss the anchor out to stop the
drift. And it did start to rain five minutes later. My luck was
running true to form.