nfisherman

Default Spring tune up -- what's necessary?

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 16:07:37 -0500, "Jim--" wrote:

.. .
On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:33:41 -0500, John H
wrote:

My Mercruiser 350 normally gets a spring tune up, i.e. new plugs,
timing, etc, etc. Are new plugs necessary every year? What *must* be
done every spring. All the fluids were changed in the fall, and the
batteries were kept on a charger most of the winter.

I go through a ton of plugs every spring - all the lawn equipment,
snow blowers, and my two antique trucks which maybe get used maybe
450/500 miles per year each.

It really depends on usage - if you have lots' of hours on the engine
from the previous summer, then yes. I winterize my FICHTS in the
fall and in the spring, have the plugs changed so they are fresh for
the season. It's a personal thing and I have no absolute reason,
scientific or anecdotal evidence to back that up - it's just opinion.

It's certainly cheap enough to change the plugs, so why not?

I would always wait to burn off the tank of stabilized gas (from winter
layover) before I changed plugs.

I don't keep a lot of gas in the tanks over winter and I always use a
fresh tank full on first run up in the spring.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)

My boat dealer recommended that I top off the tank for winter storage
and add a fuel stabilizer. He said that airspace in the tank over the
winter can cause problems with condensation. I've followed his advice
for three winters now and I haven't had any problems.
Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

[...]

Good advice, but I've never had any problems either. Then again, I
put enough stabilizer in the tank/tanks for a full load too.

I just have a "thing" about having a lot of gas over winter. I'm even
more leery of it now that we're into ethanol blends up here.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)

Lloyd Sumpter

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:33:41 +0000, John H wrote:

My Mercruiser 350 normally gets a spring tune up, i.e. new plugs, timing, etc,
etc. Are new plugs necessary every year? What *must* be done every spring. All
the fluids were changed in the fall, and the batteries were kept on a charger
most of the winter.

Look at the plugs. Sometimes a good cleaning (prefer with a special spark-plug
sandblaster, but sandpaper will do), re-gap and put 'em back in.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - we doan need no steenkin' spark plugs!

John H

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 07:21:32 -0800, "Lloyd Sumpter"
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:33:41 +0000, John H wrote:

My Mercruiser 350 normally gets a spring tune up, i.e. new plugs, timing, etc,
etc. Are new plugs necessary every year? What *must* be done every spring. All
the fluids were changed in the fall, and the batteries were kept on a charger
most of the winter.

Look at the plugs. Sometimes a good cleaning (prefer with a special spark-plug
sandblaster, but sandpaper will do), re-gap and put 'em back in.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - we doan need no steenkin' spark plugs!

Lloyd, getting *to* the plugs is the problem. If I could pull the
engine my life would be much simpler. The plugs are under the exhaust
manifold. Once I had them out, I'd for sure replace them.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
basskisser

John H wrote in message . ..
My Mercruiser 350 normally gets a spring tune up, i.e. new plugs,
timing, etc, etc. Are new plugs necessary every year? What *must* be
done every spring. All the fluids were changed in the fall, and the
batteries were kept on a charger most of the winter.

Thanks.

John H

Plugs aren't necessary every year. UNLESS they show signs of wear. If
the electrodes aren't eroded, all is well. If the center electrode is
worn so that it is rounded over, or the top electrode is eroded, then
replace.