John H

Default Spring tune up -- what's necessary?

My Mercruiser 350 normally gets a spring tune up, i.e. new plugs,
timing, etc, etc. Are new plugs necessary every year? What *must* be
done every spring. All the fluids were changed in the fall, and the
batteries were kept on a charger most of the winter.

Thanks.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Bert Robbins

"John H" wrote in message
My Mercruiser 350 normally gets a spring tune up, i.e. new plugs,
timing, etc, etc. Are new plugs necessary every year? What *must* be
done every spring. All the fluids were changed in the fall, and the
batteries were kept on a charger most of the winter.

Don't forget about the plug wires, hoses and clamps. If they look slightly
worn of cracked replace them.

Bert

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:33:41 -0500, John H
wrote:

My Mercruiser 350 normally gets a spring tune up, i.e. new plugs,
timing, etc, etc. Are new plugs necessary every year? What *must* be
done every spring. All the fluids were changed in the fall, and the
batteries were kept on a charger most of the winter.

I go through a ton of plugs every spring - all the lawn equipment,
snow blowers, and my two antique trucks which maybe get used maybe
450/500 miles per year each.

It really depends on usage - if you have lots' of hours on the engine
from the previous summer, then yes. I winterize my FICHTS in the
fall and in the spring, have the plugs changed so they are fresh for
the season. It's a personal thing and I have no absolute reason,
scientific or anecdotal evidence to back that up - it's just opinion.

It's certainly cheap enough to change the plugs, so why not?

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)
John H

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 19:35:51 -0800, "Insomniac"
wrote:

Drive service for sure....

"John H" wrote in message
.. .
My Mercruiser 350 normally gets a spring tune up, i.e. new plugs,
timing, etc, etc. Are new plugs necessary every year? What *must* be
done every spring. All the fluids were changed in the fall, and the
batteries were kept on a charger most of the winter.

Thanks.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Yup. Did that in the fall. Blew a seal and had the major service done.

Thanks for the reply.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

John H

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 22:40:01 -0500, "Bert Robbins"
wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
.. .
My Mercruiser 350 normally gets a spring tune up, i.e. new plugs,
timing, etc, etc. Are new plugs necessary every year? What *must* be
done every spring. All the fluids were changed in the fall, and the
batteries were kept on a charger most of the winter.

Don't forget about the plug wires, hoses and clamps. If they look slightly
worn of cracked replace them.

Bert

Good points. In fact, you prompted me to go do that right now.

Thanks!

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
John H

wrote:

[...]

On the 350, several of the plugs are a real *pita* to reach. They are
cheap though, so guess I'll just bite the bullet and do it.

Thanks for the reply.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Lawrence James

To each their own I guess. I've had the same plugs in my merc 5.7 for 5
years now. They still look good, they're staying in. Just last week I
finally replaced the plugs in my mother's 4 banger toyota truck at 90K
miles. My 10 year old mower still has it's original plug. Plugs don't last
forever but they sure last longer than one season.

wrote:

[...]

Jim--

wrote:

[...]

I would always wait to burn off the tank of stabilized gas (from winter
layover) before I changed plugs.

Short Wave Sportfishing

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I don't keep a lot of gas in the tanks over winter and I always use a
fresh tank full on first run up in the spring.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT