John H

Default Spring tune up -- what's necessary?

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 11:54:45 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:33:41 -0500, John H
wrote:

My Mercruiser 350 normally gets a spring tune up, i.e. new plugs,
timing, etc, etc. Are new plugs necessary every year? What *must* be
done every spring. All the fluids were changed in the fall, and the
batteries were kept on a charger most of the winter.

I go through a ton of plugs every spring - all the lawn equipment,
snow blowers, and my two antique trucks which maybe get used maybe
450/500 miles per year each.

It really depends on usage - if you have lots' of hours on the engine
from the previous summer, then yes. I winterize my FICHTS in the
fall and in the spring, have the plugs changed so they are fresh for
the season. It's a personal thing and I have no absolute reason,
scientific or anecdotal evidence to back that up - it's just opinion.

It's certainly cheap enough to change the plugs, so why not?

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)

On the 350, several of the plugs are a real *pita* to reach. They are
cheap though, so guess I'll just bite the bullet and do it.

Thanks for the reply.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!