No Spam

Default Trailer/wheel question - How Spring works? (photos included)

Would someone tell me how the spring being installed on my trailer? As you
can see in the photos I took, the spring actually is not fastern by the
screw, non does it being held by any metal. How does it Unless it has been
welded to the frame?? How does it work?

http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...g/P0002886.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...g/P0002889.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...g/P0002888.jpg

N.S.

Mark Browne

"No Spam" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Would someone tell me how the spring being installed on my trailer? As you
can see in the photos I took, the spring actually is not fastern by the
screw, non does it being held by any metal. How does it Unless it has

been
welded to the frame?? How does it work?

http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...g/P0002886.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...g/P0002889.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...g/P0002888.jpg

N.S.

It sounds like you may be worried that it is broken. Rest your mind, this is
how it is supposed to be; your spring looks good as far as you show in the
photos; I assume that the "other" end is held captive in some way. The arc
of the spring pushes the end of the spring up against the trailer frame.

Have someone push down on the boat while you watch. See how the end of the
spring pushes UP against the trailer, with the middle of the spring clamped
to the axle? The axle actually moves a little fore and aft as the trailer
moves up and down; the end in your photographs has to be free because it
allows the axle and spring the freedom to move fore and aft when the trailer
bounces up and down. If it did not have this freedom to move, the spring
would break off next to the mounting bolts in a short time.

If both ends of the spring end in an "eye" around a bolt, a link called a
shackle must be added to allow this necessary fore-aft movement.

Welding a spring is never a good idea. The high heat of welding ruins the
metal for use as a spring. The edge of the weld is much too brittle for a
flexible spring; in a short time it would break right at the edge of the
joint.

Mark Browne

basskisser

"No Spam" wrote in message able.rogers.com...
Would someone tell me how the spring being installed on my trailer? As you
can see in the photos I took, the spring actually is not fastern by the
screw, non does it being held by any metal. How does it Unless it has been
welded to the frame?? How does it work?

http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...g/P0002886.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...g/P0002889.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...g/P0002888.jpg

N.S.

That is commonly called a slip spring, and is not welded to the frame.
The other end of the spring should be restrained, usually with an eye
in the spring with a bolt through it. The spring, when weight is
applied, simply pushes on the frame of the trailer. The bolt simply
keeps it in the shackle to keep it from twisting.
Paul

Interesting. So as the spring compresses it becomes longer and its length is
evenly taken up by sliding slightly further into/through the gaps above the
retaining bolts. Looks very simple and effective.

Would that be an area where he could add a little grease? It looks like a
metal/metal contact area.

"Mark Browne" wrote in message

"No Spam" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
[...]

R3ALLY NEWBIE

Paul has a good point in previous posting. Since that's metal to metal
contact, do you think adding grease is necessary?

"basskisser" wrote in message
m...
"No Spam" wrote in message

able.rogers.com...
Would someone tell me how the spring being installed on my trailer? As

you
can see in the photos I took, the spring actually is not fastern by the
screw, non does it being held by any metal. How does it Unless it has

been
welded to the frame?? How does it work?

http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...g/P0002886.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...g/P0002889.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...g/P0002888.jpg

N.S.

That is commonly called a slip spring, and is not welded to the frame.
The other end of the spring should be restrained, usually with an eye
in the spring with a bolt through it. The spring, when weight is
applied, simply pushes on the frame of the trailer. The bolt simply
keeps it in the shackle to keep it from twisting.

Mark Browne

"Paul" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
Interesting. So as the spring compresses it becomes longer and its length

is
evenly taken up by sliding slightly further into/through the gaps above

the
retaining bolts. Looks very simple and effective.

Would that be an area where he could add a little grease? It looks like a
metal/metal contact area.

snip
Multi-leaf springs have been allowed to rub on each other to act as a motion
dampers for many decades now; it acts as a natural shock absorber. It does
not seem to shorten the lifetime in these applications. If you look around
at the ramp at some older trailers, you may notice that this does not seem
to be much of a problem. I would not worry about it.

Applying grease to a friction surface is not the "no brainer" that you might
expect. The grease tends to trap sand; this sand can be very destructive.
There are a number of good dry film lubricants that might work well here,
but I have not tested them in this application, so my opinion does not carry
much authority here.

Mark Browne

Buck Frobisher

"R3ALLY NEWBIE" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Paul has a good point in previous posting. Since that's metal to metal
contact, do you think adding grease is necessary?

No grease, it catches dirt as previously mentioned. The only thing I've
ever done is give it a shot with WD40 when the squeaking gets on my nerves.

--
"Stay calm. Be brave. Wait for the signs."

regards,

Frank Johansen
Aurora, Ontario

Greg Moore

Some newer rigs use a nylon pad, many use this pad between leaves. Its only
purpose is to stop the squeaks so often associated with old boat trailers.
As mentioned, grease will age the springs faster then nothing, sand is
harder then the spring steel and will grind it down. If squeaking is an
issue, use graphite powder or any other dry lube, do not use oils or greases
as they will trap and hold dust and grits..

Greg Moore

. ..