Mark Browne

Default Trailer/wheel question - How Spring works? (photos included)

"Paul" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
Interesting. So as the spring compresses it becomes longer and its length

is
evenly taken up by sliding slightly further into/through the gaps above

the
retaining bolts. Looks very simple and effective.

Would that be an area where he could add a little grease? It looks like a
metal/metal contact area.

snip
Multi-leaf springs have been allowed to rub on each other to act as a motion
dampers for many decades now; it acts as a natural shock absorber. It does
not seem to shorten the lifetime in these applications. If you look around
at the ramp at some older trailers, you may notice that this does not seem
to be much of a problem. I would not worry about it.

Applying grease to a friction surface is not the "no brainer" that you might
expect. The grease tends to trap sand; this sand can be very destructive.
There are a number of good dry film lubricants that might work well here,
but I have not tested them in this application, so my opinion does not carry
much authority here.

Mark Browne