Paul

Default Trailer/wheel question - How Spring works? (photos included)

Interesting. So as the spring compresses it becomes longer and its length is
evenly taken up by sliding slightly further into/through the gaps above the
retaining bolts. Looks very simple and effective.

Would that be an area where he could add a little grease? It looks like a
metal/metal contact area.

"Mark Browne" wrote in message

"No Spam" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Would someone tell me how the spring being installed on my trailer? As

you
can see in the photos I took, the spring actually is not fastern by the
screw, non does it being held by any metal. How does it Unless it has

been
welded to the frame?? How does it work?

http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...g/P0002886.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...g/P0002889.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/londonboy/...g/P0002888.jpg

N.S.

It sounds like you may be worried that it is broken. Rest your mind, this

is
how it is supposed to be; your spring looks good as far as you show in the
photos; I assume that the "other" end is held captive in some way. The arc
of the spring pushes the end of the spring up against the trailer frame.

Have someone push down on the boat while you watch. See how the end of the
spring pushes UP against the trailer, with the middle of the spring

clamped
to the axle? The axle actually moves a little fore and aft as the trailer
moves up and down; the end in your photographs has to be free because it
allows the axle and spring the freedom to move fore and aft when the

trailer
bounces up and down. If it did not have this freedom to move, the spring
would break off next to the mounting bolts in a short time.

If both ends of the spring end in an "eye" around a bolt, a link called a
shackle must be added to allow this necessary fore-aft movement.

Welding a spring is never a good idea. The high heat of welding ruins the
metal for use as a spring. The edge of the weld is much too brittle for a
flexible spring; in a short time it would break right at the edge of the
joint.

Mark Browne