Lawrence James

Default Spring tune up -- what's necessary?

To each their own I guess. I've had the same plugs in my merc 5.7 for 5
years now. They still look good, they're staying in. Just last week I
finally replaced the plugs in my mother's 4 banger toyota truck at 90K
miles. My 10 year old mower still has it's original plug. Plugs don't last
forever but they sure last longer than one season.

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:33:41 -0500, John H
wrote:

My Mercruiser 350 normally gets a spring tune up, i.e. new plugs,
timing, etc, etc. Are new plugs necessary every year? What *must* be
done every spring. All the fluids were changed in the fall, and the
batteries were kept on a charger most of the winter.

I go through a ton of plugs every spring - all the lawn equipment,
snow blowers, and my two antique trucks which maybe get used maybe
450/500 miles per year each.

It really depends on usage - if you have lots' of hours on the engine
from the previous summer, then yes. I winterize my FICHTS in the
fall and in the spring, have the plugs changed so they are fresh for
the season. It's a personal thing and I have no absolute reason,
scientific or anecdotal evidence to back that up - it's just opinion.

It's certainly cheap enough to change the plugs, so why not?

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)